• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

.40 Cal home defense ammo

This is a discussion on .40 Cal home defense ammo within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by Cuda66 You can shatter concrete with a sledgehammer--is that fatal to the person swinging the hammer? Tell Agalindo that...I am on the ...

Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #31
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
You can shatter concrete with a sledgehammer--is that fatal to the person swinging the hammer?
Tell Agalindo that...I am on the same page as you. read what I quoted.
Poink88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #32
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 33453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I am no expert but I think your logic is grossly flawed. Should you apply that to rifles like 50 BMG which can shatter concrete walls...the shooter must die instantly if your analogy is accurate.
Then somebody needs to invent recoil springs, reciprocating slides and barrels.
1EYEJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #33
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42500
I've read the FBI study and I've read many of Fackler and MacPherson's journal articles, Cuda. I've never disputed their emperical data on automatic involuntary incapacitation.

Poink88 is right, though. This logic that the shooter should experience the same effect as the target is ludicrous. Firearms are DESIGNED to dissipate the felt recoil to the shooter and spread it out over a large area.

Why do light bolt-actions kick like a mule even with buttpad? I guarantee, if you replace a buttstock on a short barreled rifle with a blunt point (for the sake of argument), you'll be pretty stunned if not injured by the resulting force.

If you get shot, and you're not stunned. You're one of those adrenaline-amped PCP case studies. Cuda, I hope I don't have to prove it, ever. But I have been stunned by a softball returned straight to my side. And let's just say it gave me a moment of pause. lol.

F=d(mv)dt is pretty immutable. And combined with just a little common (perhaps not) sense, and it gets pretty plausible.

Maybe not, and Cuda and agalindo are just armor-vest wearing Rambo men who feel nothing unless it rips open a hole in their torso.

Springfield XDm40, M1A Loaded : Ruger LCR, LC9
Beretta M9A1 : Marlin 989-M2 .22LR
Bushmaster ACR : FNH SCAR 17S
Century GP-75 AK-47 : Sig Sauer 516, P226 Mk25
M1 Carbine .30 : M1 Garand
Savage 10-FLCP-K / .308
QBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #34
Old Timer

Member #: 42039
^^^ perhaps you could then reread the definition I posted on stopping power
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #35
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBiN View Post
I've read the FBI study and I've read many of Fackler and MacPherson's journal articles, Cuda. I've never disputed their emperical data on automatic involuntary incapacitation.

Poink88 is right, though. This logic that the shooter should experience the same effect as the target is ludicrous. Firearms are DESIGNED to dissipate the felt recoil to the shooter and spread it out over a large area.

Why do light bolt-actions kick like a mule even with buttpad? I guarantee, if you replace a buttstock on a short barreled rifle with a blunt point (for the sake of argument), you'll be pretty stunned if not injured by the resulting force.

If you get shot, and you're not stunned. You're one of those adrenaline-amped PCP case studies. Cuda, I hope I don't have to prove it, ever. But I have been stunned by a softball returned straight to my side. And let's just say it gave me a moment of pause. lol.

F=d(mv)dt is pretty immutable. And combined with just a little common (perhaps not) sense, and it gets pretty plausible.

Maybe not, and Cuda and agalindo are just armor-vest wearing Rambo men who feel nothing unless it rips open a hole in their torso.
Done calling names now? Did we get it all out of our system?

Goodness me...must've touched a nerve if you have to go into personal attacks. Nice...way to bring a touch of class to the discussion.

Hell's donkeys...if I ever get shot, I'm gonna fall down and cry like a baby, even if it's just a scratch...but I'm not enough of an optimist to assume anyone I'm facing is a wimp like me...which is why I want something that'll penetrate deep on the other guy, leave a wide, nasty wound, and bleed 'em out...fast.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #36
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
So now it's name calling?

I'm no rambo and I don't wear BA. I do read and take the advice of people who's job it is to aid in the design and selection a pistol ammo for major law enforcement agencies and those that design body armor over somebody's unsupported opinion.

I have yet to see any data from you to back up your claims. Revolvers don't have recoil springs or any other method of reducing the "equal and opposite" reaction that the laws of physics say have to be followed. What better way to dissipate energy than to use it to expand a bullet. When a bullet hits a target (human) much of the energy from the bullet is used in expanding the bullet and then much is used in penetrating the object. The energy deposited into a target (from a pistol) will usually case a temprary cavity about 1 to 2 inches in diamter. The temporary cavity does not represent significant wounding because unlike 10% ballisitcs gel human tissue is very elastic.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #37
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatiable ONE View Post
^^^ perhaps you could then reread the definition I posted on stopping power
I did. I just was just more interested in the actual debate instead of pre-canned definitions pasted from Wikipedia.

Savage 10-FLCP-K / .308
Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #38
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Here's a another quote from a thread posted here a couple of days ago. It's about this guy that was jumped by several men he shot himself out of danger but not before being hit 3 times. Here's what he had to say about being hit with two bullets in the adomen. Musta been on PCP.

Quote:
"The first bullet caught me in the hand and spun me around," Lee said. "I reached for it. I started firing my gun. I must have gotten hit a couple more times, but I didn't feel it at the time. I just started firing back, and the guys ran off."
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #39
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Here's one about a guy hitting hit by a .45, unsuspectingly at point-blank range...

pistol-training.com How I Got Shot

One would think if your knockdown effect/kinetic energy incapacitation theory had any legs to it, this guy would've been thrown for a loop...but no, he was able to function just fine (for a bit)--(ETA--besides the use of his arm...which would make sense since the slug turned his elbow into a random box of tinkertoys).

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #40
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
Done calling names now? Did we get it all out of our system?

Goodness me...must've touched a nerve if you have to go into personal attacks. Nice...way to bring a touch of class to the discussion.

Hell's donkeys...if I ever get shot, I'm gonna fall down and cry like a baby, even if it's just a scratch...but I'm not enough of an optimist to assume anyone I'm facing is a wimp like me...which is why I want something that'll penetrate deep on the other guy, leave a wide, nasty wound, and bleed 'em out...fast.
Who said I didn't want something that left the biggest wound possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
So now it's name calling?

I'm no rambo and I don't wear BA. I do read and take the advice of people who's job it is to aid in the design and selection a pistol ammo for major law enforcement agencies and those that design body armor over somebody's unsupported opinion.

I have yet to see any data from you to back up your claims. Revolvers don't have recoil springs or any other method of reducing the "equal and opposite" reaction that the laws of physics say have to be followed. What better way to dissipate energy than to use it to expand a bullet. When a bullet hits a target (human) much of the energy from the bullet is used in expanding the bullet and then much is used in penetrating the object. The energy deposited into a target (from a pistol) will usually case a temprary cavity about 1 to 2 inches in diamter. The temporary cavity does not represent significant wounding because unlike 10% ballisitcs gel human tissue is very elastic.
agalindo, the GRIP reduces the felt recoil, so do things like Hogue gel pads, etc. Unless you're striking the revolver round with a pin mounted to the front of your pointing finger; then the weight, size, and material of a revolver ALL go towards dissipating the felt recoil.

As far as calling you Rambo men, I wouldn've figured you'd both take it as a complement given the denial taking a round wouldn't stun you. Cuda, all in all, I really don't think we're disagreeing all that much. I never said wounding effects weren't important. It was more meant as sarcastic hyperbole for agalindo, for his assertions a round will defy physics, not impart any kinetic energy, and won't stun a target.

Savage 10-FLCP-K / .308

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

hollow point, home defense, hornady, self defense

Search tags for this page
40 cal ammo defense
40 cal home defense

best .40 ammo for home defense

best .40 cal self defense round

best .40 home defense ammo

best .40 self defense ammo
best 40 cal ammo home defense

best 40 cal home defense ammo

best home defense .40 ammo
best home defense .40 bullet
best home defense 40 ammo
best home defense 40 cal ammo
best home defense ammo 40 cal
home defense .40 ammo
home defense 40 cal ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.