• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Anyone loading 12 ga shotshells?

This is a discussion on Anyone loading 12 ga shotshells? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; I recently got back into shotshell reloading for some good turkey loads. I have loaded shotshells for about 30 years on an old Texan loader ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Anyone loading 12 ga shotshells?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 27854
Anyone loading 12 ga shotshells?

I recently got back into shotshell reloading for some good turkey loads. I have loaded shotshells for about 30 years on an old Texan loader I got from Walmart around 1970. Some of the old reloading books were really lieniant on loads and I went through some trial and errors until I came up with a great pheasant load at 1330 FPS w/ 1 1/8 load of #6 birdshot. Then as I got older I sort of quit pheasant hunting, the quail disappeared and I quit reloading.
Now I have got back into shotshells because of Turkey hunting and by using my rifle powder measure for the powder charge and the electronic scales to weigh the shot and getting some load information from Hodgdon on the net I have came up with some really good loads using Hodgdon's Longshot powder, and they crimp perfectly. Just wondered how many shotshell loaders were on this XD site. Is anyone loading shotshells?
rayikeo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31502
I reload shotgun , pistol, and rifle shells. I shoot skeet weekly and go through a lot of powder and shot.

There are some really good recipes online provided by the various powder manufacturers

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Reloading Powder Manufacturers

I use a lot of this information.

Also Hornady has some good info.

Hornady.com - Deadly, Accurate, Dependable - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

As well as Mec

Mec Reloaders

VFW LEGION NRA
U S ARMY
34TH AVIATION GROUP
MACV 65-66
FAA AIR TRAFFIC
(RETIRED)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

If you haven't been to Hodgdon's site yet check it out they have both sections. shotgun and Rifle/pistol with some really good loads. Many, many AA Loads both trap and hunting.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old 03-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayikeo2 View Post
If you haven't been to Hodgdon's site yet check it out they have both sections. shotgun and Rifle/pistol with some really good loads. Many, many AA Loads both trap and hunting.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Looks like a slow day so will bump this post up to see if any weekend posters reload shotshells. Remember you can load self defense oo buckshot as well as trap and hunting loads. Surely some others are into shotgun reloading with as many people that use a 12 ga for home defense. It is as easy as reloading for your handguns but does require some different equipment but you can double up on a lot of it.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44636
I got a press from a friend but Im not sure where to start. I wanted to develop some buckshot/defense loads. I think it will be awesome because if it will fit in the shell it can be used as a projectile. The possibilities are endless. Anyone out there make any 'unique' shells? Legal of course.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg45 View Post
I got a press from a friend but Im not sure where to start. I wanted to develop some buckshot/defense loads. I think it will be awesome because if it will fit in the shell it can be used as a projectile. The possibilities are endless. Anyone out there make any 'unique' shells? Legal of course.
Step #1 is to buy a manual like this one.
Cabela's -- Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook 5th Edition

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
best pheasant load 12 guage recipe
doveload recipe using longshot powder
hodgdon turkey load
load data for 12 ga

longshot buckshot data

longshot trap loads

reloading 12 ga buckshot loads

reloading for turkey

reloading turkey loads

reloading turkey shotshells

www.turkey relodaing data for 12ga.

www.win.reioading data for 12ga. turkey loads.com

Click on a term to search for related topics.