• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

What happened with Remington 1 1/2 primers?

This is a discussion on What happened with Remington 1 1/2 primers? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Been using the Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers for both my 9mm & my 40 S&W. Picked up a box of 1000 last week ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » What happened with Remington 1 1/2 primers?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 30209
What happened with Remington 1 1/2 primers?

Been using the Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers for both my 9mm & my 40 S&W. Picked up a box of 1000 last week & apparently they no longer recommend the use of the 1 1/2 for the high pressure calibers...357 mag, 40 S&W etc...I checked the 3 boxes I had from last years purchases & see no such warning. I've litterally loaded & shot thousands of rounds with these primers, haven't had so much as a burp & see no reason to hunt down the 5 1/2 small pistol primers Remington now recommends. Did they change the primers or did they get sued by some reloader that screwed up somewhere & now have to "warn" everybody?
jefo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefo1 View Post
Been using the Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers for both my 9mm & my 40 S&W. Picked up a box of 1000 last week & apparently they no longer recommend the use of the 1 1/2 for the high pressure calibers...357 mag, 40 S&W etc...I checked the 3 boxes I had from last years purchases & see no such warning. I've litterally loaded & shot thousands of rounds with these primers, haven't had so much as a burp & see no reason to hunt down the 5 1/2 small pistol primers Remington now recommends. Did they change the primers or did they get sued by some reloader that screwed up somewhere & now have to "warn" everybody?
It makes no sense to me. The 5 1/2 is a mag priemr w/ specific use. It may be that they have made the primer cup thicker to withstand higher pressures, but that doesn't mean you could not use the 1 1/2 for low-med pressure loads. Federal primers have always been known for thin/sensative cup mat'l. & will show pressures long before harder primers like CCI.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
no. 5 1/2 small pistol primers
remington 1 & 1/2 small pistol primers in 40 s&w

remington 1 1 2 primers

remington 1 1 2 primers 40 s&w

remington 1 1 2 primers for 9mm
remington 1 1/2 9mm
remington 1 1/2 primer

remington 1 1/2 primers

remington 1 1/2 primers 9mm

remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers 9mm

remington 1/1/2 vs 5 1/2

remington no. 1 1/2 small pistol primers

remington primer warning

remington small pistol primers #1-1/2

remington small pistol primers 1 1/2 vs 5 1/2

Click on a term to search for related topics.