• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD9sc ammo question ...

This is a discussion on XD9sc ammo question ... within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Originally Posted by ryr8828 Wouldn't a lighter bullet have more velocity? I'd like to see some discussion on this, so far I'm just using what ...

Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryr8828 View Post
Wouldn't a lighter bullet have more velocity?

I'd like to see some discussion on this, so far I'm just using what I have, I don't even remember what it is.
Not to hijack the thread but to answer ryr's question: a lighter bullet will indeed have more velocity, period, but they lose velocity quicker due to having less mass to maintain speed. But what one looks at for SD situations is energy and that is where a heavier projectile can shine as they maintain more velocity and typically penetrate further.

Comparing the ballistics of a 115gr to that of a 147gr projectile, there is a crossover point where the 115 has slowed down and it's energy is virtually equal to that of the slower 147. Granted, in many 9mm loadings this crossover point is around 25 yards which is outside the realm of most SD situations, but at and past that point the 147 will have more energy.

It is like comparing a baseball at 90mph to a softball at 80mph and deciding which one would you want to be able to accurately deliver onto a target.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
ntg
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39965
I find this article/site very telling:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

This is interesting too:

The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1

I don't get all hyped about weight, etc. Your ability to shoot accurately is most important.
ntg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 43144
Obviously accuracy is important. But given a choice between a 115gr JHP and a 147gr JHP for my self defense, I'm gonna go with the 147gr every single time. Increased bullet mass will increase penetration, and excluding CNS shots, penetration is the single most important aspect of a bullet's ability (note: not shooter's ability) to stop an assailant. There have been numerous documented incidences of insufficient penetration with lighter 9mm ammo. For example...
Quote:
One infamous incident occurred on Easter Sunday in 1989, when San Diego Sheriff’s Department Tactical Unit officers were forced to shoot a criminal 27 times over several minutes because their 9mm 115gr Silvertips failed to penetrate deeply enough to damage any vital organs and cause physiologic incapacitation, despite solid torso hits. A bullet finally severed the relatively superficially placed carotid artery and jugular vein in the neck, resulting in fatal hemorrhage which ended the encounter. The San Diego Police Department switched to the 9mm Winchester 147gr JHP after several documented underpenetration failures with the 9mm Winchester Silvertip 115gr JHP.
Surely no cartridge will work all the time, but some will work more often than others and any edge is desirable in one's self defense. If you want to load a lighter grain bullet for your SD use, and rely on training for head shots that is obviously your prerogative. While I can see no real advantages carrying a lighter bullet over a heavier bullet, I see one major disadvantage - less penetration. Personally, I'm gonna go ahead and take every advantage I can and carry the heaviest bullet available for my chosen caliber while at the same time, training myself to put them on target.
Bravo_Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 25599
+1 on my subcompact and 147gr bullets, they work flawlessly. I love heavy bullets in all my self defense weapons. Velocity is definitely higher on lighter bullets but it is not speed alone, it is speed times weight so it evens out so to speak. I carry Federal HST 147gr but angalino puts a list up that covers a large group of good ammo.
pastordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #15
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26062
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordan View Post
+1 on my subcompact and 147gr bullets, they work flawlessly. I love heavy bullets in all my self defense weapons. Velocity is definitely higher on lighter bullets but it is not speed alone, it is speed times weight so it evens out so to speak. I carry Federal HST 147gr but angalino puts a list up that covers a large group of good ammo.
The list that Agalindo [sp] posts is a good starting point, but very little data is available from SC length barrels. Ammo may function reliably and be accurate but have poor expansion. Hornady CD ammo is an example of this in my opinion. Even though I can only test in wetpack I have found that the CD ammo does not expand through denim into the wetpack.

For me, 147's are superior to 124's and +p offers little or no advantage over standard pressure rounds.

My choice for carry are Federal HST 147's, but there are many excellent choices out there. Do your own testing and trust your own judgement. If you trust what you carry you at least have a fighting chance.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
ntg
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39965
This is also an interesting project / read and gives insight into short (and long) barrel length and it's effect on velocity. Oh, and it's one of those reads where you'll wish you were in on the fun. Enjoy:

Ballistics by the inch
ntg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by custompolz View Post
New to the forum and see users saying the XD will eat about anything. My Beretta 92FS likes 147 grain bullets and so I have quite a few rounds (Super-X for the range, WinClean for indoor range and Winchester Ranger for home personal protection). My question: the XD89sc has a 3" barrel ... am I going to need to purchase lighter weight bullets for it? Would love to hear from somone using the 147gr in the sc in 9mm. Thanks all ... great forum and information.
If you are a re-loader then purchase lighter bullets, if not buy ammo that is loaded with lighter bullets!

don
dglock is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

xd 9 subcompact, xd9sc

Search tags for this page
147 grain 9mm bullets for beretta 90-two
ballistics of xd9sc

beretta 90 two 147 grain bullet

best ammo for springfield xd9sc

best bullit for the xd9 sc

best xd 9 sc ammo

can the beretta 92fs inox shoot 147 grain bullets
how to operate the springfield armory xd 9 mm subc0mpact
is a heavier grain bullet more accurate

recommended ammo for xd9sc

springfield xd9sc ammo
type of ammo springfield xd sc 9
what kind of ammo does sdpd use?

what kind of bullets does a beretta 9 take

xd9sc self defense ammo

xd9sc velocity
Click on a term to search for related topics.