• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Herters ammo - any good?

This is a discussion on Herters ammo - any good? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; So I am trying to max out my savings with my 30 dollar Cabella's card and the extra 20$ off they are offering right now. ...

Old 12-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 34513
Herters ammo - any good?

So I am trying to max out my savings with my 30 dollar Cabella's card and the extra 20$ off they are offering right now.

I am seeking as much .308 as I can get without breaking the wallet.

I can get 500 rounds for @ 150 bucks - but I am unfamiliar with this particular brand.

Cabela's -- Herter's .308 Win. Ammunition with Dry-Box

Any insights, warnings, etc?

A Wolverine ate my Irons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
"
this thread needs more Warthog." -DevJames
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Northern Nevada shooters community page

Klaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 18005
I'd wager it's really dirty but shoots ok.

looks like some kinda repacked Wolf or Silver Bear
DevJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39578
Herter's ammo is good stuff, buy with confidence.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5626
What do you plan to shoot it out of? I'm not a big fan of shooting steel from any of my guns but that's just me.

Steel cases and berdan primed so no reloading, other than that I have not tried it so not much help here. sorry
xd357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

I haven't gotten to the reloading stage yet, so no issues there.

My one and only .308/7.62 weapon is my Springfield SOCOM II.

I have never shot steel out of any of my guns, and I have heard nothing but bad things,[about Wolf specificlly] but I am unsure as to how much this would really affect my rifle.

I am ok with it "shooting dirty" as long as it's just a matter of cleaning the weapon.Heck, Winchester shoots pretty dirty as it is. If it is BAD to shoot, causing malfunctions, damaging the bore, etc. then I need to know so I don't destroy this rifle I have come to love.

I have had a hell of a time gathering "enough" rounds for the SOCOM and I am hoping to use this purchase to begin the stockpile.

But I do want the rounds to shoot, so anyone else want to ring in here?

Thanks to the guys who have already contributed. I love this place!

"

Old 12-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Well, I managed to land 80$ in cabellas gift cards, so I would like to go out tomorrow and get some ammo.

Anyone else want to warn me off? I may end up going for this deal but I would really really like to know if this is a bad move.

Frankc, what do you shoot when using this ammo? what weapon do you use? inquiring minds want to know.

"

Old 12-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18902
Isn't Herters just rebranded Wolf?

arizona98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaws View Post

My one and only .308/7.62 weapon is my Springfield SOCOM II
Expensive rifle for cheap ammo.

Not .308 but just did a search and according to the AK files it appears to be rebranded Wolf, the 7.62x39 stuff anyways. Click this link and then hit the link to Cabelas. Zoom in on the base of the cartridge in the picture and it's stamped "Wolf". The AK Files Forums - Herters 7.62x39 Ammo?

Doesn't mean bad ammo, I just haven't shot any Wolf, nor will I from my M1A or AR's.

Matt
Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Food for thought.

Yes, It's a pricey weapon, and it took the better part of a year to pay for it. That's why I don't have loads of cash for ammo, lol.

I will see what I can get that's NOT steel cased.

"

Old 12-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Cool, I was watching this thread thinking someone would be able to push me to buy some, but it doesn't seem too popular.

My favorite plinking ammo is the Winchester 7.62 Nato 147gn stuff but it has gone up in price also. I have shot PMC Bronze, Prvi, Walmart SP's, Federal Nato, American Eagle, and the excellent Hornady TAP without any problems.

I try to reload so brass is the way I go but I'm sure the rifle will chew up anything you feed it steel or brass.
Check out LTD (LTD AMMO SALES!, The most bang for your buck.) for 7.62. When they get it in be ready because it goes fast due to pretty decent prices compared to some others. I was picking up Win. Nato for around $10 a box but he has been slow to get any lately.

Don't feel bad I'm in the same boat, expensive rifle and expensive to feed, but Awesome to shoot.

Good Luck!

Matt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
herter's 9mm ammo review
herter's ammo
herter's ammo home page
herter's ammo review
herter's ammunition
herter's ammunition review
herters

herters ammo

herters ammo review

herters ammunition
is herters ammo good
who makes herters ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.