• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Best places to get lead scrap for bullet casting

This is a discussion on Best places to get lead scrap for bullet casting within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Hi, I want to cast some bullets but am having a hard time finding lead scrap. A few people told me that you can often ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Best places to get lead scrap for bullet casting

Old 11-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39624
Best places to get lead scrap for bullet casting

Hi,

I want to cast some bullets but am having a hard time finding lead scrap. A few people told me that you can often get the old tire weights from tire places but I went to two of them in my area and both said they couldnt because they were Hazmat.

Does anyone have suggestions where to find used lead stuff to "recycle" and make into bullets>?

Thanks!
wingnut1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 29327
i see people on craigslist selling buckets of wheel weights all the time in my area.

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" -- Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
cooks128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

I've seen one person selling lead for $0.65 per lb but that seems a little high and is 3 hours away. Only listing like it I have seen.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
You must live in CA.
I have no problem picking up wheel weights from our local tire shops.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Nope, live in Michigan
Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut1983 View Post
Nope, live in Michigan
Almost as bad as Kalif. Tire shps are the way to go for now anyway. Try the smaller private places or even gas stations. The large chain stores often have policy that require they sell to a recycler. Scrap yards or auto wrecking yards are good too. You may have to get a pair of ww pliers to remove them, but sometimes the salvage yard owners do it & have them in buckets. Other good sources are plumbing outfits, roofing & roof construction outfits, ask for roofing lead. Stainglass window shops or classes are another good source. All the lead wire they use is 98% pure lead & very clean. Tell them yo uwant it for casting lead figures or fishing sinkers.
The national ban on lead ww is coming sooner than later. Kalif bans lead ww starting next month. Oregon & Wasington state the following year, so get what you can & stack it deep, it's going to become more costly going forward. IMO, if I have to pay much more than $1/# for finished alloy, I'm not casting. Also, carefull w/ lead bought on Craigslist or other sources. It may contain zinz. Any zinc in an alloy makes a very poor bullet alloy & casting w/ it is almost impossible. It makes fine looking ingots, but not so good for small, precise casting like a bullet. Zinc will be the new ww mat'l. of choice going forward.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading

Last edited by fredj338; 11-23-2009 at 12:35 PM.
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

I just called every tire place in my town and FINALLY found one that would sell me the wheel weights. Most others said they used to just give them away but it got to be a pain when people would say "well you give them to this guy but not me?" so they just quit.

But I got the name of the guy at one place who said he generally takes them to the scrap yard for $.16/lb. I told him I'd be more than happy to pay him for them .
Old 11-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut1983 View Post
I just called every tire place in my town and FINALLY found one that would sell me the wheel weights. Most others said they used to just give them away but it got to be a pain when people would say "well you give them to this guy but not me?" so they just quit.

But I got the name of the guy at one place who said he generally takes them to the scrap yard for $.16/lb. I told him I'd be more than happy to pay him for them .
Offering to pay always works better than asking for them for free. Offer him 20c/# & run with that. That way you keep him as a good supplier. Expect about 20% waste /#. Still, that is 16c/# for clean alloy. that is $5/1000 200gr 45acp bullets.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading

Last edited by fredj338; 11-23-2009 at 02:40 PM.
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 41188
What I found out

Many of the large chains follow procedure for the company -- like Walmart for example.
I go to independent tire stores give the working guy $10.00 and get several 5 gallon cans full of wheel weights. Some wheel weights are now made of zinc, which is not bullet friendly. Lead should be melted by about 650 degrees the zinc weights will float to the top, as the zinc has a higher melting point. Just throw the zinc weights away.
Oldhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9980
I run a junior air rifle program at our gun club. I get all the lead I want cleaning out the pellet traps.

It's pure lead and very soft. Works good in the muzzle loaders. Quenching the bullets in water seems to help too.
educate children.\" -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
buy scrap lead
buying lead for bullet casting
common places to find lead
finding scrap lead
places to find lead

scrap lead

sources of bullet lead
sources of lead for bullet casting
where is a good place to buy lead
where to find lead for casting
where to find lead scrap

where to find scrap lead

where to get lead for bullet casting

where to get lead for casting
where to get scrap lead
Click on a term to search for related topics.