• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Steel bullets

This is a discussion on Steel bullets within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Here is my problem. At the outdoor range, they will not allow steel bullets. ( Issue with brushfires and causing a spark with the plates. ...

Old 11-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39836
Steel bullets

Here is my problem. At the outdoor range, they will not allow steel bullets. ( Issue with brushfires and causing a spark with the plates.

I would like to shoot my 7.62 and XD's at this range. I typically use Wolf ammo to keep the cost down.

Question is: What is the cheapest non-steel rounds that are still non-corrosive. I have been trying to figure this out, but the descriptions are not clear.

I think Fiocchi might be the answer, but are silver bear, or golden tiger non-steel?

Thanks,

Ryan
quig is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
I think all the Russian made stuff is steel w/ copper plating. S&B or Privi I believe are cooper o/ lead.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
In the XD, not so much of an issue. Just buy US-made ammo (WWB, Fed Champ/Blazer/Am Eagle, RGB) and you'll be peachy. IIRC, a lot of the wolf/bear handgun ammo just has a copper jacket, but a lot of ranges just flat-out balk at steel cases. YMMV.

For the 7.62--and I assume that you mean x39--pretty much all wolf/bear/tiger/yak ammo has a "bimetal jacket"...which is gilding alloy over steel...no go at your range.

Fiocchi would be fine, as would pretty much anything made by a US manufacturer.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 36612
I went to my local fun shop with a magnet and tested all the .223 he had and the magnet stuck to every brand he had, Remington, WWB, Prvi, and I forget the rest. That's the problem, the range touches the bullet (not the case) with the magnet and if it sticks they send you back to the car. This is basically anything .223 and up in rifle calibers, they never ask or look twice with any handgun cal's.
I have the same problem at a local state run range so I go to another state provided area, but it's unmanned (FUN!) and no ammo restrictions.

I do mean to ask at this range, I see ALOT of folks with SKS's, deer rifles, etc.., and find out what brands their shooting since I can't seem to find anything that doesn't get the magnet.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 40558
Perhaps you wanna consider reloads? :-S
Ruger LCP
Kimber Ultra Ten CDP II
Custom AR-15
Kimber Custom II TLE/ RL[SOLD]
Springfield XD9S[SOLD]
Taurus PT745SS[SOLD]
Taurus PT1911SS[SOLD]
Walther P22 w/Laser[SOLD]
ericc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
Just go get some of the Yugo surplus 7.62x39 . . . no bimetal jacket there, just plain lead and copper.

Yes, it's corrosive. No big deal. Don't be afraid of corrosive . . . it just means that you need to clean your gun every time you shoot it, and that will include running some water through the barrel and gas tube.

I shoot Yugo corrosive in my AK because my range requires that I use brass cases.
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39836
I think the Yugo is probably the best bet. I will have to be better at cleaning right away and not wait a day or so.

I have heard about dumping windex down the barrel, water too? Should I disassemble the gas tube when doing this or just keep it in place? Is there something special about windex or will any commercial window cleaner work. After I do this, do I run some Hoppes down?

I haven't come up with a thread about this procedure under a search.

Thanks
quig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Hot, soapy water or windex will do...basically, you want to dissolve the corrosive salts left by the primers, and it's water (windex is mostly water, btw) that does this.

Go through the normal cleaning regimen after--patches, brushes, etc--using hoppes 9, breakfree, whatever you use.

Fwiw, Gunzilla is a water-based gun cleaner, and I've used it after shooting corrosive ammo w/o the water or windex flush...no rusting/pitting at all. Good stuff.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
benefits of lead versus steel bullets
do shooting ranges allow steel jacket bullets

lead vs steel bullets

reloading talammo cases
russian steel case over lead bullets
steel ammo out door range

steel bullets

steel bullets in outdoor range
steel bullets shooting range
steel jacket rounds in springfield xd
use of steel bullets on bear

what is a bimetal jacket

whats up with steel bullets on the range
why cant you use steel bullets at a shooting range
will steel bimetal russian bullets hurt my barrel
Click on a term to search for related topics.