• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Nickel Plated Brass vs Brass

This is a discussion on Nickel Plated Brass vs Brass within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Whats the major diffrence between using Nickel Plated Brass and regular Brass for reloading? I have heard that you don't get the same amount of ...

Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 26272
Nickel Plated Brass vs Brass

Whats the major diffrence between using Nickel Plated Brass and regular Brass for reloading? I have heard that you don't get the same amount of reloads from the nickel but for the price diffrence it might just be worth it.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 37396
Allot of people seem to like the nickle plated brass. Im not one of them though.
1852legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
From what I've seen nickle is, of course easier to clean and size. Nickle can be resized less amounts, and is harder to see defects like case splits in. Some say it's harder on dies also.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 10643
Nickel splits quicker than non-nickel.
Mercmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 38082
I don't know from experience but I have heard that it gets brittle and is not as easily workable as regular brass. I know from experience that it offers more resistance when resizing it. In my opinion I think it's kinda gimmicky, it's supposed to improve feeding and ejection, that's it's sole purpose, but I've never noticed the difference. I think it's another way to charge extra for a box of ammo, if you tumble,resize, and seat your bullets correctly, and properly clean your firearm, I don't think one has to worry about feeding issues or nickel plated brass. But if you have it, use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
XD FANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 30928
Quote:
Originally Posted by XD FANATIC View Post
In my opinion I think it's kinda gimmicky, it's supposed to improve feeding and ejection, that's it's sole purpose, but I've never noticed the difference. I think it's another way to charge extra for a box of ammo.
It has another purpose as well. For hunting or SD ammo that sits for a long time in leather keepers, it won't turn green and ruin your leather. It also seems to hold up better during those foul weather hunts.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Ok, I admit, I was wrong on that one, I've never used a leather ammo band of any type because I see it as why use leather when you can use synthetic and it'll last a lot longer? Not saying that there's anything wrong with using leather but I never have so I was totally ignorant of that fact, thank you. As far as foul weather huntin goes, I guess I meant the average American hunter in the lower 48 isn't gonna be hunting in a straight downpour so that's not really a concern for most people. Either way, I retract my ignorant statement, thank you for bringing that to my attention, I appreciate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Last edited by XD FANATIC; 11-05-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22307
The nickle is a plating which is very thin and harder than brass. Since the plating is less elastic than the base metal, it can and will chip and flake off.
scooterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28100
Use the nickel plated stuff, CCI primers and some lead or silver shiny bullets when hunting werewolves. All silver, very cool.

If you're not going to hunt werewolves, then just reload it like you would any brass.
S&W .357 Highway Patrolman
Savage MKII .22
Beretta Neos U22 Inox
Dave007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave007 View Post
Use the nickel plated stuff, CCI primers and some lead or silver shiny bullets when hunting werewolves. All silver, very cool.

If you're not going to hunt werewolves, then just reload it like you would any brass.
Yeah, tacticool.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
brass vs nickel

brass vs nickel plated brass

nickel plated brass ammo
nickel plated brass for precision rifle reloads

nickel plated brass vs brass

nickel plated brass vs regular brass
nickel plated vs brass
nickel plated vs regular brass
nickel vs brass ammo
nickle plated brass ammo
reloading 9mm nickel brass
reloading nickel plated brass
what about nickel plated brass bullets
whats the difference between brass and nickle in hand gun ammo
which is best nickel plated or brass ammo
why use nickel plated brass
Click on a term to search for related topics.