• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Federal Hi-Shoks

This is a discussion on Federal Hi-Shoks within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Anyone use them? How well do they perform for you?...

Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 39767
Federal Hi-Shoks

Anyone use them? How well do they perform for you?
Reyort is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
They're a baseline JHP, similar to the WWB "Personal Protection" JHP and the Remington Green Box...

They'll do if you can't find anything better, and if your pistol likes 'em.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 40230
I carry them in 135g for my XD40SC.. But it's only until I can find some 165g HST's.
dsolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
XMM
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 32504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
They're a baseline JHP, similar to the WWB "Personal Protection" JHP and the Remington Green Box...

They'll do if you can't find anything better, and if your pistol likes 'em.
+1

That about says it all. Better than FMJ in anything bigger than .380acp.
XMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 13774
They are ok, but are outdated compared to the recent introduction of new and improved JHP's.

I wouldn't carry them. Sure they are deadly (as are FMJ's), but just the dinosaur of modern hollow points.
Myk9noseknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34248
I did some testing with a Fackler box (one gallon Ziploc bags full of water packed in a trough) in the early 90’s, using a BHP and a S&W 3913. Back then the Federal 9BP (high shok) and the hotter loaded 9BPLE (LE version loaded to 1300 f.p.s.) were pretty much the gold standard for 9 hollow points.

Comparing the then new designs of the day, (Federal Hydra Shok, PMC Starfire, Win Black talon, etc.) the standard 9BP load faired the best in all the tests (clothing, dry wall, 2X4’s etc.) except the windshield glass test. (Granted I only tested one bullet each due to lack of glass). There, jacket/core separation and bullet deflection affected all of them except the Speer Gold Dot.

I don’t remember all the average expansion and penetration numbers but I do remember that, with the exception of the glass test, the top three were:

Federal 9BP
Federal Nyclad
Winchester Silvertip

And there was less than 1% difference between the three.

Ironically, all three were no longer considered “Premium” self defense ammo and could be purchased cheaper than any of the then new and improved “wonder 9 ammo”.

I’m sure all this data is totally out dated and useless today but the bottom line is, I would not feel under gunned carrying 9BP ammo in My gun.

Jeff

PS. 9BP was Federals product code for the 115 gr. JHP 50 round box. Today it is normally only seen in 20 round boxes with the product code C9BP.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
What kind of penetration were you getting? One thing to remember is that shooting water will give you the maximum expansion on a bullet. Ballistics gel or human tissue will show less expansion.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolie View Post
I carry them in 135g for my XD40SC.. But it's only until I can find some 165g HST's.
Selling em all day long over at ammo to go my man..........
powerstrokin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34248
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
What kind of penetration were you getting? One thing to remember is that shooting water will give you the maximum expansion on a bullet. Ballistics gel or human tissue will show less expansion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltbed View Post
I don’t remember all the average expansion and penetration numbers.
/\ /\ /\ /\ Did ya miss that part? /\ /\ /\ /\

Bare water, compared to bare Gelatin will show more expansion and less penetration.
However, when you shoot through stuff in front of them for some reason they act very much alike. Within 10% (according to Dr. Fackler).

Jeff
Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
From what I've read about those older bullet designs is, inconsistent expansion when encountering clothing or light barriers and when they do expand, rapid expansion with shallow penetration. They work but there's better designs that expand more reliably and penetrate deeper.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
9bp review

9bp vs 9bple

c9bp vs 9bp
federal 9bp ammo
federal 9bp expansion

federal 9bp review

federal 9bp test

federal 9bple review

federal 9ms review
federal 9ms test
federal ammunition c9bp review

federal c9bp reviews

federal classic 9bp vs 9bple

federal hi shok

federal hi shok 45 review
Click on a term to search for related topics.