• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Is this really Federal ammo and is it any good?

This is a discussion on Is this really Federal ammo and is it any good? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; AMM-406 - Ammo 9mm Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115 Grain +P+ JHP 50 Round Box Recommended for Law Enforcement It has a bunch of good reviews ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Is this really Federal ammo and is it any good?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 31851
Is this really Federal ammo and is it any good?

AMM-406 - Ammo 9mm Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115 Grain +P+ JHP 50 Round Box Recommended for Law Enforcement

It has a bunch of good reviews and I know the box says Federal but Cheaper Than Dirt is listed as the manufacturer.

If it is good ammo, I'm going to order a box for my new M&P. I cant find any HP ammo around here. Places still sell out as soon as they get it in.

I know it is +p+ and that is probably pushing the limits of what the gun can handle. For that reason, I am going to shoot 20 rounds at the range to make sure it functions and then the rest will be saved as carry only ammo.

Last edited by dkbikes4life4130; 07-24-2009 at 08:13 AM.
dkbikes4life4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34248
Back in the early days of 9mm JHPís both the 9BPLE (LE for law enforcement) and the standard 9BP gained a good reputation for reliability and stopping power.
They used the same 115 gr. Bullet with the only real difference being the velocity.
Standard 9BP was loaded to a nominal 1180 f.p.s.
9BPLE was loaded to approximately. 1300 f.p.s.

The only complaints Iíve ever heard about the LE version was excessive muzzle flash and signs of advanced wear to aluminum frame pistols popular back then.
Since the introduction of Cor-Bonís 115gr. JHP +P which offers slightly more velocity without the muzzle flash and at only +P pressures, the popularity has fallen off a bit.

At only 41.79 a box of 50, thatís quite a bargain.

Jeff

Last edited by fltbed; 07-24-2009 at 01:53 PM.
fltbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Thanks for the info. If those are the biggest complaints then I think I'm ok. This is going in a M&P so I dont know how that will differ from the aluminum frame.

As long as they are reliable and dont clog like I have heard early JHP designs do, then I think I'll order them. I'm not going to shoot this regularly so I'm not real worried about wear. After I shoot the 20 or so at the range, it wont be getting shot again unless I need to save my life.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltbed View Post

Maybe.

I bought a few boxes of this stuff from CTD in October 2008, and the price was $14.59/box. Yes, the exact same stuff -- item AMM-406, 50 rounds per box.

While it may still be a good price, I think we're seeing more of the price-jacking that CTD has become famous for during the last year . . . .
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pick View Post
Maybe.

I bought a few boxes of this stuff from CTD in October 2008, and the price was $14.59/box. Yes, the exact same stuff -- item AMM-406, 50 rounds per box.

While it may still be a good price, I think we're seeing more of the price-jacking that CTD has become famous for during the last year . . . .
Wow, ammo has gone up that much? I've only been shooting since January and even WWB is that much at Wal-Mart. All the JHP around here is atleast $1 a round for any of the decent stuff. Thats why I thought this was a good deal.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbikes4life4130 View Post
Wow, ammo has gone up that much? I've only been shooting since January and even WWB is that much at Wal-Mart. All the JHP around here is atleast $1 a round for any of the decent stuff. Thats why I thought this was a good deal.
No, ammo hasn't gone up that much. A few months ago there were a lot of "Cheaper Than Dirt hate threads" because their prices absolutely SKYROCKETED around election time, and people accused them of taking advantage of the panic. Rightfully so, in my opinion.

While I agree that $14/50 is a darned good deal for JHP, I suspect that CTD has added a serious markup to arrive at today's price.

When you're buying JHP, if it's for self-defense, don't shop based only on price. Look at recommendations based on performance. You won't actually shoot much of it (a few hundred rounds, maybe, to make sure it feeds well in YOUR gun), so the price per round isn't significant in the big picture. How well it work on a bad guy, though, might be VERY important.

That said, I really don't know how well this CTD/Federal ammo performs.
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
IMO i would use a more common self defence ammo like gold dots.

gold dots are great, they are used by many LEO around thr country and have easily proven themselves as a great round

personally i carry buffalo bore ammo loaded with gold dots

another good brand that loads gold dots is double tap ammo.

both of those are very hot rounds using a proven projectile

double tap 115 grain 50 pack for $35.95
DoubleTap Ammunition

here is their listing of all their 9mm ammo
DoubleTap Ammunition

here is some 9mm buffalo bore ammo
9mm Luger (+P) And (+P+) Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 28657
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltbed View Post
Back in the early days of 9mm JHPís both the 9BPLE (LE for law enforcement) and the standard 9BP gained a good reputation for reliability and stopping power.
They used the same 115 gr. Bullet with the only real difference being the velocity.
Standard 9BP was loaded to a nominal 1180 f.p.s.
9BPLE was loaded to approximately. 1300 f.p.s.

The only complaints Iíve ever heard about the LE version was excessive muzzle flash and signs of advanced wear to aluminum frame pistols popular back then.
Since the introduction of Cor-Bonís 115gr. JHP +P which offers slightly more velocity without the muzzle flash and at only +P pressures, the popularity has fallen off a bit.

Jeff
I think that is highway robbery. I can buy any of the Federal or Speer JHP ammo for around $21 a box. Maybe I am just lucky. And yes, it is 50 round boxes.
handcruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 38203
wow that ammo is VERY expensive. it's literally half that price on buds last week...
XprincoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbikes4life4130 View Post
AMM-406 - Ammo 9mm Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115 Grain +P+ JHP 50 Round Box Recommended for Law Enforcement

It has a bunch of good reviews and I know the box says Federal but Cheaper Than Dirt is listed as the manufacturer.

If it is good ammo, I'm going to order a box for my new M&P. I cant find any HP ammo around here. Places still sell out as soon as they get it in.

I know it is +p+ and that is probably pushing the limits of what the gun can handle. For that reason, I am going to shoot 20 rounds at the range to make sure it functions and then the rest will be saved as carry only ammo.
Cheaper Than Dirt is NOT a manufacturer. They are a retailer or perhaps even a re-packager of ammo. And really, though those are pretty good rounds that is an atrocious price... but then, a lot of ammo is overpriced right now. Reloading is better, IF you can get primers.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
9mm - 115 gr jhp - federal classic personal defense - 50 rounds
does federal still make the 9mm classic 9bp
f c 9mm p
federal 115 grain jhp (9bp) review
federal 9bp hi-shok 115gr jhp for sale

federal 9bp review

federal 9bp reviews
federal 9mm 9bp any good?
federal 9mm jhp 9bp
federal 9mm p jhp 115 grain 50 round box
federal classic 9mm jhp review
federal classic federal hi shok review
federal classic hi shok 9bp 50
federal? hi-shok? 9mm 115-grain jhp ammo
hi shok any good
xm80c ammo any good
Click on a term to search for related topics.