• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

My 1st reloads, .357 magnum

This is a discussion on My 1st reloads, .357 magnum within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Hey gang, I just completed my 1st 50 reloads on my own equipment. I've reloaded several hundred on a friends progressive machine. This was on ...

Old 05-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16410
My 1st reloads, .357 magnum

Hey gang, I just completed my 1st 50 reloads on my own equipment. I've reloaded several hundred on a friends progressive machine. This was on my own Rockchucker press.

I used Winchester small pistol primer. 6.9grns of Bullseye and a 158grn bullet. The bullet has the bottom half jacketed and the top half exposed lead. OAL is 1.587

I crossed referenced a Speer manual and an Alliant manual for Bullseye to come up with 6.9grns.

Does this sound good? I'm gonna use them in my Rossi 1892 lever action and my Ruger single-six.
Remove Ads
Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 17756
Looking at my Speer # 13 & # 14 manuals I don't see the bullet you mentioned so I had to go back to some old Speer manuals to find it. They don't make that bullet any longer I don't believe.

At any rate, the load you listed (middle of the road) looks good to me as a starting point.
Verk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18902
Congrats on reloading. I just finished a batch of .223....must be a good day to reload.

This is just my opinion, but there are many other powders much better suited for magnum loads other than Bullseye. While I like it (just bought 8 pounds of it a couple of months ago), I personally would not use it for jacketed .357 loads. I routinely load it in .38 Spl and .45 ACP for lower velocity target/practice loads. Bullseye is a very fast burning powder. I don't use fast burning powders in magnum cartridges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
arizona98tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 30177
I'm with arizona98tj and maybe try a different powder than Bullseye for .357 mag. I personally use either 2400 or unique for my .357's. I've also got some red dot .357 loads I've done up and want to see how they work out considering I have a bit of red dot sitting around.
Blaidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
I'm with arizona98tj and maybe try a different powder than Bullseye for .357 mag. I personally use either 2400 or unique for my .357's. I've also got some red dot .357 loads I've done up and want to see how they work out considering I have a bit of red dot sitting around.
I usually reach for Unique also when I'm doing .357 loading.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
Congrats on reloading. I just finished a batch of .223....must be a good day to reload.

This is just my opinion, but there are many other powders much better suited for magnum loads other than Bullseye. While I like it (just bought 8 pounds of it a couple of months ago), I personally would not use it for jacketed .357 loads. I routinely load it in .38 Spl and .45 ACP for lower velocity target/practice loads. Bullseye is a very fast burning powder. I don't use fast burning powders in magnum cartridges.
I agree, BE is NOT the powder of choice for anything but light loads w/ lead bullets ina magnum round. It sounds liek a REm. 158gr or older SPeer 1/2 jacketed bullet? Either way, that load is near the top end & should be worked upto, not just sit down & crank out 50. When I load any new bullet/pwoder combo, I owrk up loads. This is done using a middle avg. data. & loading NO MORE than 10rds @ that powder wt. THen dependning on what you are trying to accomplish, work up or down in .1gr increments for fast or uberfast powders (W231 & faster) or 0.2gr for med.-med. slow powders (Unique to AA#7 or Longshot). For the slow powders like AA#9, H110, 2400, etc. working up in 0.3gr in larger cases yields good results. Then when you find a load that does what you want safelt, load in quantity.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading

Last edited by fredj338; 05-11-2009 at 09:46 AM.
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I agree, BE is NOT the powder of choice for anything but light loads w/ lead bullets ina magnum round. It sounds liek a REm. 158gr or older SPeer 1/2 jacketed bullet? Either way, that load is near the top end & should be worked upto, not just sit down & crank out 50. When I load any new bullet/pwoder combo, I owrk up loads. This is done using a middle avg. data. & loading NO MORE than 10rds @ that powder wt. THen dependning on what you are trying to accomplish, work up or down in .01gr increments for fast or uberfast powders (W231 & faster) or 0.2gr for med.-med. slow powders (Unique to AA#7 or Longshot). For the slow powders like AA#9, H110, 2400, etc. working up in 0.3gr in larger cases yields good results. Then when you find a load that does what you want safelt, load in quantity.
I believe you meant .1 gr increments (see comment above in red).

Everything else you said....I agree.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
I believe you meant .1 gr increments (see comment above in red).

Everything else you said....I agree.
Thanks arizona, key boards are tricky things.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16410
Thanks guys. I've since bought a lb of 2400 for the hotter .357 and .44 mag loads. Store was out of Unique. I also have a lb of W231 to work with.

My manual shows 7.2 or .3 of BE as max with this bullet. They are an old Hornady half jacketed bullet. I only had 100 of these and they are all loaded now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.357 half jacket

357 half jacket

357 mag half jacketed bullets
357 mag reddot powder
357 magnum half jacket
357 magnum half jacketed velocity
half jacketed .357

lead bullets 357 158 gr. longshot powder

longshot .357 158 gr lead
reloading bullets for chaippa 1892 357 mag
reloading the 357 magnum with unique powder
reloading the speer 1/2 jacket in a .357
unique powder 357 mag
unique powder for 357 magnum
unique powder for 357 reloads
why half jacket 357 mag
Click on a term to search for related topics.