• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Warning about frangible ammo

This is a discussion on Warning about frangible ammo within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Well my step son hit a deer last night.So he came home and we went back to see if it was hurt .Seems he broke ...

Old 12-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 4946
Warning about frangible ammo

Well my step son hit a deer last night.So he came home and we went back to see if it was hurt .Seems he broke it's back and it was paralyzed.
But it happen to be in between two house about 20 yards from each so I thought better call and get permission to finish it off.Of course they said no they would have to send an officer.15 minutes or so he finally arrives (carrying a glock I might add )But it was a 40 cal.So he shoots it with some new super bullet LOL Fragmentable threw the head didn't exit and it lays there kicking and bleeding for 5-10 minutes Then finally he shoots her agian .Another five minutes and the it finally dies.
Neither round exited and I was not impressed at all I have seen a 22 to the brain kill one faster.
Watch me shoot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
R/T Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 6260
Frangible ammo is designed to disintegrate when it strikes an object harder than itself. Apparently in this case the skull of the deer fell into that criteria. Historically it has been used for practice and training purposes due to the lower possibility of ricochet, with the lead free design making it suitable for use in indoor ranges. There are studies ongoing regarding military and LE applications with the intent to reduce the possibility of collateral damage. I was somewhat surprised to see that there are some LE agencies using frangible ammunition as duty ammunition.

The ammunition selection process typically ends up being the result of compromise (with politics playing a heavy hand in the LE community), sometimes leading to a the road to Hell is paved with good intentions scenario. While I am not familiar with the specific ammunition used in this instance (particularly the advertised and evaluated performance characteristics), if I were the LEO in question I would be left doubting whether this specific ammo was capable of doing the job when called upon to do so.

Back in September you noted that your local PD was switching over from 9mm to .40S&W due to the lack of effectiveness of the 9mm in putting down deer. Any chance that they were using the same ammo in their 9's?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
A couple of years ago I was bow hunting with a buddy and he hit a doe in the shoulder. The shoulder was broken, arrow fell out and she was not bleeding fast enough. We ended up tracking her down for several hours as she grew weaker and as she tried to make a 3 legged run across a creek, she stumbled and fell. We tackled her down and I slit her throat with a knife. We let her bleed for 5 minutes and she struggled the whole time. I hate to see an animal suffer like that but what else could we do? We rolled her over and started to skin her and as he began to poke the knife through, she started kicking again! . By now, it was 10:00 PM and very dark. We were beginning to think she was possesed or something...lol. We cut her throat even further this time, knowing we had already cut her jugular but figured we better try SOMETHING. She kicked for another 5 minutes and then expired. I have never in my life seen an animal with such a will to live, it was very sad and creepy at the same time.

Maybe your deer had the same will...
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Dang Jd you have a good memory .That was a officer the appeared in my ccw class a couple county's over that was switching from 9mm to 40.
I am not sure this frangible ammo was issused.As we where waiting for the second shot to do it's job he said the next round was a real one.After the first round I told him I have 13 speer gold dot's and i am sure they will do there job.Mentioned this several time and offered to give him one.
I have learned something if I ever end up in this situation again It will be trying to get away and I will finish it off and then call for p.o. to come issue a permit

The officer said this was new ammo he was trying out and had not attempted to put a deer down with it.(I hope he has tried it at the range at least)

Also seeming it didn't ring my ears I would have to assume they are loaded pretty light.
Watch me shoot

Old 12-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Itchy funny you mention that after the second shot .It was mentioned maybe she would just get up and run off now

I considerd cutting her throat when we found it but I figured a bullet to the brain would be less painfull
Watch me shoot

Old 01-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 7809
The new indoor range at the local Sheriff's Office, which has a LEO and civilian section requires that frangible ammo be used, and there's specifically. It's great ammo for an indoor range because there is slim chance of ricochet and they don't have to pay the impact fees associated with lead. It's definately not designed to be used on animals or people.

I can't shoot there as they don't carry and don't plan on carrying .45 GAP. I'm not complaining as they charge almost twice the price as normal ammo even though they buy it in bulk. Your set if you have 9mm or .40, but if you have anything goofy, you can pretty much forget about it.

It's a shame because it's the nicest indoor range I have ever seen. I went there to check it out on a day it was packed and you couldn't even smell gunpowder.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 7843
if you couldnt smell the gun powder then that would take some of the fun of shooting away. its part of the full experience for me.
XD .45 ACP
Para P-10 SS .45 ACP
Kimber Eclipse Custom II SS
Kimber Team Match II SS
bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 7809
I wholeheartedly agree...

But have you been in a coma the past 8 years? As soon as someone gets the slightest cough the lawsuits fly.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 7843
yea i know all about it, im a smoker. it has always amazed me that people complain about ciggerette smoke but they dont seem to
mind breathing the air outside. lets see how long someone will live
directly breathing the exaust from a car tailpipe.
but thats different right ?

NOT
XD .45 ACP
Para P-10 SS .45 ACP
Kimber Eclipse Custom II SS
Kimber Team Match II SS
bevis is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
.40 frangible ammo
.45 acp frangible ammo

.45 frangible ammo

40 s&w frangible ammo

45 acp frangible

frangible 40 s&w ammo

frangible 45 acp
frangible 45 acp ammo
frangible ammo
frangible ammo 45 acp

frangible ammo for sale

frangible ammo for sale 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.