• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

boat tail ammo?

This is a discussion on boat tail ammo? within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; is boat tail ammo better than regular? is there any draw backs? i heard it was more accurate at longer distances, but does it do ...

Old 03-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 28600
boat tail ammo?

is boat tail ammo better than regular? is there any draw backs? i heard it was more accurate at longer distances, but does it do worse at close range targets? i'm looking at buying some in 5.56. all the XM193 ammo for sale is boat tail. just wanna know what i'm buying. thanks

GOA Life Member

Colt 6920, Remington 870 tactical, Glock 17, 22, 30
secret.squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 31502
For my Varmit rifles I only use boat tail ammo. It is more accurate, although I cannot tell you why exactly. I have done lots of tests over the fifty years that I have been shooting and it is always more accurate.

VFW LEGION NRA
U S ARMY
34TH AVIATION GROUP
MACV 65-66
FAA AIR TRAFFIC
(RETIRED)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 31784
This article provides some discussion on bullet shape and ballistic coefficients: Ballistic Coefficient
Old 03-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
For my Varmit rifles I only use boat tail ammo. It is more accurate, although I cannot tell you why exactly. I have done lots of tests over the fifty years that I have been shooting and it is always more accurate.
Depends. A boat tail bullet is designed for long range stability/accuracy, beyond 300yds. For ranges under that, you'll find many flat base bullets outshoot a boatail. In my 260ai, most of the BT bullets I shoot at 100yds group worse than the falt base. Move to 300yds & the BT starts to pull away. The accuracy diff. is measured in fractions though, not inches.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29160
M193 Bullets Will Shoot Just Fine

All kinds of stories why they boat tailed that dinky, light bullet. One version I heard was that the Generals still believed they were fighting the...Spanish American War...all over again.

Another story is that with the automatic loading machinery, the boat tail design solved certain mechanical problems/concerns getting that tiny slug to go into a small case quickly...by the zillions.

With the 5.56x45 round, having a boat tail with a 55 grain bullet probably doesn't make any difference, unless you are trying that impossible 500 meter long shot. Wrong weight bullet.

However, if one wants long range out of a small package, then the boat tail 5.56 round makes a big difference at very long ranges. We used the M193 because it was cheap. HB of CJ

boat tail M193 Post
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post

With the 5.56x45 round, having a boat tail with a 55 grain bullet probably doesn't make any difference, unless you are trying that impossible 500 meter long shot. Wrong weight bullet.
That "impossible" 500 meter shot that Marines make every day of the week?

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

List of homonyms

Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
5.56 boat tail ammo

boat tail ammo

boat tail ammunition
boat tail bullet
boattail ammo
what does boat tail ammo do
what does boat tail mean for ammo
what is 5.56 boat tail ammo
what is a boat tail bullet?

what is boat tail ammo

what is boat tail ammunition
xm193 boat tail
Click on a term to search for related topics.