• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Corbon PowerBall not very good

This is a discussion on Corbon PowerBall not very good within the The Ammo Can forums, part of the Armory Talk category; Interesting data posted by DocGKR regarding Corbon PowerBall. Seems it doesn't penetrate the minimum recommended, and it performs very bad on barriers. Originally Posted by ...

Old 02-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Corbon PowerBall not very good

Interesting data posted by DocGKR regarding Corbon PowerBall. Seems it doesn't penetrate the minimum recommended, and it performs very bad on barriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGKR Industry Professional

9 mm Corbon 100 gr +P PowerBall 1555 f/s from G17
BG: pen=10.9”, RD=0.60”, RW=93.9gr
4LD: pen=11.4”, RD=0.58”, RW=97.5gr
The mighty 4.7” of pen after the auto windshield was not comforting…

.40 S&W Corbon 135 gr Powerball from S&W 4006
BG: vel=1362 f/s, pen=11.6”, RD=0.65”, RW=131.4gr
4LD: vel=1359 f/s, pen=12.1”, RD=0.65”, RW=131.9gr
auto windshield: vel=1365 f/s, pen=7.9”, RD=0.61”, RW=103.6gr

.45 ACP Corbon 165 gr +P Powerball from 1911
BG: vel=1230 f/s, pen=12.1”, RD=0.70”, RW=158.8gr
4LD: vel=1267 f/s, pen=11.8”, RD=0.66”, RW=159.7gr
auto windshield: vel=1251 f/s, pen=5.5”, RD=0.73”, RW=143.5gr

The frequent core-jacket separations and rounded leading edges of the PB
loads are a concern, as is their poor terminal performance after intermediate
barrier penetration. We were frankly unimpressed with these loads. If you
have to use Corbon handgun loads, stick with their DPX loadings of the
superb Barnes XPB all copper bullets.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25298
Exclamation Doc Roberts tells it like it is!

Those bullet weights are much too light and lack the required sectional density to effectively penetrate intermediate obstacles and barriers [like arms, walls and sheetmetal]

The wound profile of PoweR'Ball in calibrated ballistic gel indicates rapid bullet expansion, rapid energy transfer and shallow penetration. This is what occurs when you overdrive a bullet's construction with high velocity. More is being lost than gained.

The wound profile of these rapid expanding, shallow penetrating handgun bullets are impressive-looking to folks that don't understand that penetration is vital, and arguably the key to producing reliable incapacitation. ..Not from "hydrostatic shock" or "ballistic pressure wave" as some companies or researchers would lead you to believe. There isn't enough evidence to hang your hat on with these iffy new theories. At low handgun velocity levels, bullet expansion and deep penetration is preferred over explosive expansion and shallow penetration like Glaser, Extreme Shock, RBCD, PoweR'ball and Magsafe have to offer.

If your pistol won't feed conventional JHP ammunition, you have more important issues that need addressing than your ammunition feed profile.
Modern autoloading pistols ie; Glock HK, Sig, Springfield, etc, will feed all but the most flat, wadcutter-type cartridges without modification or sacrificing any reliability.

I will say this:
If your pistol won't feed conventional JHP amo like Gold Dot, Golden Saber [especially Golden Saber!] Ranger, HST, your gun has something wrong with it, as these guns are designed to function with these types of cartridges.

fix yer gun, not yer ammo
Rampant Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
Agreed. too light, too fast. Fast and light isn't necessarily bad, but there is a limit...and I think it's been crossed here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32074
+1 they just expand much to fast therefore stop too shallow. i think they should really only be used if you have feed issues with standard jhp.

speer gold dots FTW
xdm4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2122
Yesterday at the range there was a local LEO from a small town nearby doing his qualification. I asked him what they issue at his PD. He said they don't issue, officers choose their own and he chooses powerball for his .40. I asked him why and he spouted off velocity and foot/lbs. I mentioned the poor terminal performance (maybe I was out of line in that..I don't know..I hate to see a peace officer carrying subpar ammo) and he started saying some really creative stuff. When all was said and done the powerball will "crack an engine block but it won't travel through drywall" "it will flatten out to an inch in diameter" and it has "exceptional performance through windshields." I really wish I could have honestly let him know about the poor performance of powerball but I sensed that he had a lot of pride about it and plus who am I to him? I wouldn't trust me either had I just met me at the range.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 30032
That .40 performance doesnt look too bad. I've got a box of them somewhere. Never shot any and probably wont. Just have them as part of my novelty/weird ammo collection.

Corbon should slap some big Nosler type ballistic tips on them. Then at least they would look ****** and steal Extreme Shock market share.
Blatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29160
Thank You For The Post...I Presently Carry Powerball

Wow, what can I say. I carry Powerball. Came across some, paid the money and that is what I use....FOR NOW. This sort of information is, in spite of I not wanting to hear it, exactly what I need to know.

Looks like I made another mistake. Well, that is how we learn. While on the subject, has anyone ever heard of or used Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket .45 ammo? What exactly is this stuff? Is it any good?

Anyway, back to Powerball, maybe I will just shoot off the rest of what I have remaining and start looking for another Corbon round using that all copper Barnes bullet. My dealer is a Corbon stocking dealer. HB of CJ

Powerball Bo Bo Post
HB of CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 33874
Powerball is junk...not only that, it is junk that will get you killed.

Federals Expanding FMJ stuff is OK.

Just curious though...you're carrying a 45, why not use tried and proven ammo??? (230 grain XTP, SXT, RangerT, Golden Sabre, HydraShok, Gold Dot, HST, etc....230 grains of whatever flavor you like)
Ridgerunner665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2122
The Corbon DPX copper JHP is a well proven round and I think it's the only Corbon round I'd be willing to carry. Its very expensive though. Id rather buy Gold Dot 50 packs Save the efmj and powerball for places where they aren't allowed to carry JHP.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I agree with DigMe, the only time I would carry EFMJ rounds is if it was illegal to carry HP. Stick to a good quality HP, Gold Dots, Rangers, HST, Golden Sabers, or the DPX.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can

Search tags for this page
45 acp powerball ammo
45 acp powerball penetration
9mm ballistic tests corbon power ball.com
cor bon power ball
cor bon powerball
cor-bon powerball
corbon 9mm p 100 grain powerball
corbon pow'rball review
corbon power ball

corbon powerball

corbon powerball ammo
corbon powerball ballistics
corbon powrball 45 acp
powerball 45 acp ammo

powerball ammo

powerball ammunition
Click on a term to search for related topics.