• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AK slam fire question

This is a discussion on AK slam fire question within the AK-47 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Originally Posted by yocan I like the idea, but thats one more thing for dirt to go around and jam up. LIke the recoil spring ...

Old 11-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #51
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
Quote:
Originally Posted by yocan View Post
I like the idea, but thats one more thing for dirt to go around and jam up. LIke the recoil spring on the ak, they can get blocked up turn in effect into a rod not a spring and blow out the back of the AK in your face. In this case it would simply not work. I think you'd only be able to do it with a closed system, which wouldn't be practical in the bolt, it would jam up just like the buffer spring but most seriously and it would be faster I would think being closer to the gas tube. And be a more seroius pain to clean.
Huh?? Recoil springs on an AK don't get 'blocked up'. Neither do the rebound springs on AKs. Galils have used them forever. It shouldn't be hard to on an AR bolt, as long as it has a gas piston action instead of direct gas...to minimize fouling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #52
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 7134
Okay so I pulled out the ol' AK and went over Nodak's site as well as the ARS page. It appears my AK already has the "fix" done to the trigger. Apparently the place that built my rifle knew about the issue and proactively took care of it.

Also, according to the function test on Nodak's site my AK is fine. Under normal conditions everything works as it should. However, I was able to find the "sweet spot" that allowed hammer follow. I basically recreated the situation where the doubles come up by slowly pulling the trigger. As soon as the hammer released, I would hold the trigger still and pull back and release the bolt. The hammer instantly fell again.

Basically, I have about 1/8" of the trigger travel that will cause hammer follow. Normally, the trigger would travel past this point before the bolt passed over the hammer again. But when pulling the trigger really slow, as in target shooting I guess the trigger hangs out in that "sweet spot" just long enough to cause a double fire.

All that said...am I just being too picky? Should I just not try slow controlled shots with an AK? It seems like it could be just an inherent AK design issue. Is there a trigger group out there that would completely eliminate this problem?
Colt Lightweight Commander .45ACP (Pre-series 80)
Ruger LCP
Romy-G AK-47
RRA/M&P AR-15
SpeedRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #53
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25552
I appreciate the link Mad Pick, I had been looking for some brass catchers for awhile, as it looks like reloading will be the wave of the future.
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

KingArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #54
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
Okay so I pulled out the ol' AK and went over Nodak's site as well as the ARS page. It appears my AK already has the "fix" done to the trigger. Apparently the place that built my rifle knew about the issue and proactively took care of it.

Also, according to the function test on Nodak's site my AK is fine. Under normal conditions everything works as it should. However, I was able to find the "sweet spot" that allowed hammer follow. I basically recreated the situation where the doubles come up by slowly pulling the trigger. As soon as the hammer released, I would hold the trigger still and pull back and release the bolt. The hammer instantly fell again.

Basically, I have about 1/8" of the trigger travel that will cause hammer follow. Normally, the trigger would travel past this point before the bolt passed over the hammer again. But when pulling the trigger really slow, as in target shooting I guess the trigger hangs out in that "sweet spot" just long enough to cause a double fire.

All that said...am I just being too picky? Should I just not try slow controlled shots with an AK? It seems like it could be just an inherent AK design issue. Is there a trigger group out there that would completely eliminate this problem?
buy a new trigger group, which ever one you want and see what happens. Or get one of the best for semi-auto AKs...
Adjustable AK Trigger System

einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #55
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
All that said...am I just being too picky? Should I just not try slow controlled shots with an AK?
No!!! Get that thing fixed, man.

Well, it appears that the WWB ammo with the "soft" primers wasn't the problem after all . . . I'm glad to hear that. Although I didn't have any problems with WWB when I shot it earlier, I was a little concerned about finishing the box after reading this thread initially.
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #56
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
buy a new trigger group, which ever one you want and see what happens. Or get one of the best for semi-auto AKs...
Adjustable AK Trigger System
Yeah, those Red Star triggers look nice. Anything good for about 1/2 that price? I only spend money like that on my Poodle Shooter.

Plus, I really wanna keep my AK simple and straightforward...as it should be. I keep looking for a quality basic trigger with no slap, and keep coming up with the G2.
Ruger LCP
Romy-G AK-47
RRA/M&P AR-15
Old 11-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #57
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 30329
You could try this one:nodakspud home page.htm
TCFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #58
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 30329
Also part of your problem could be from weak or worn spring/s.
It's fairly cheap to replace those 20-30 yo springs. Chances are
the springs that were in the kit were re-used in the build.
You can get good springs here:Falcon Arms :: AK-47 :: Springs and Spring Kits :: AK-47 Spring Kit
with some careful checking you'll get it solved and running right!
Good luck!
TCFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #59
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23536
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFP View Post
You could try this one:nodakspud home page.htm
That's what I bought for mine. The quality looks good and it's designed to work with the Nodak receiver. I haven't put mine together yet, so I don't know how well it works, but for $40 you can't go wrong.

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic and so am I.

When in combat it doesn't matter how much ammo you have, it will be a lifetime supply. How much you have will determine who's lifetime.
Ride the Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:03 AM   #60
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFP View Post
Also part of your problem could be from weak or worn spring/s.
It's fairly cheap to replace those 20-30 yo springs. Chances are
the springs that were in the kit were re-used in the build.
You can get good springs here:Falcon Arms :: AK-47 :: Springs and Spring Kits :: AK-47 Spring Kit
with some careful checking you'll get it solved and running right!
Good luck!
Could be true. But my AK is built from a Romy G kit, from what I understand most were never fired though. Any truth to this? Guess I'll grab some springs anyway...couldn't hurt.

And I ordered a Nodak trigger, seems to be the most logical option. Thanks for the info guys. We'll see how it goes.
Ruger LCP
Romy-G AK-47
RRA/M&P AR-15

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk

Search tags for this page

ak 47 slam fire

ak 47 slam fire conversion

ak slam fire

ak slamfire

ak47 slam fire

ak47 slam fires
ak47 slamfire
can an ak 47 slam fire
federal 210 primers ak-47 sks slam fire
how serious is sks slamfire
slam fire ak
slam fire ak 47
slam fire ak in texas
slam fire ak47
slam fire in ak
wasr slam fire
Click on a term to search for related topics.