• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Iron Clad Armory AK-74 Review

This is a discussion on Iron Clad Armory AK-74 Review within the AK-47 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I know a lot of folks are looking for information on these rifles that Iron Clad is building... I've got about 700 rounds through mine ...

Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 85353
Iron Clad Armory AK-74 Review

I know a lot of folks are looking for information on these rifles that Iron Clad is building... I've got about 700 rounds through mine so far (headed to the range again tomorrow for a few hundred more) and here's what I've found.

Pros:

-Reliable. The rifle has had 0 malfunctions
-Accurate. As with most 74 type rifles, it's more accurate than most people think AKs can be. I've shot several 2'' groups at 100m with this rifle and 7N6
-The CHF CL 1 in 8 RH twist barrel. As far as I know, these are the first US made CHF CL barrels out there. Not all ICA rifles come with these barrels but it's an 'upgrade' option they offer if you order direct from them (the other barrels they use are CL US made barrels from Curtis at akbuilder.com). According to the owner, they get the are sourced from MIL/LE supplier and then turned down in house by ICA.
-Gun Kote finish. I have several rifles with this finish and I really like it compared to other AK finishes on the market.
-The side folder stock locks up tight in both positions.
-Built on matching Bulgy parts kit.
-Cost. These rifles seem to go from between $700-$1100 depending on the options (milled/stamped receiver, Iron Wood or K-Var furniture, side rail/no side rail, CHF or standard US barrel, side folder vs standard stock, ect...)
-The receivers (both stamped and milled) are made in house by ICA so they offer the option for the buyer to pick their own serial number on the receiver. Not really a big deal but NoDak has stopped this option as far as I know so if it's something you're looking for they'll do it for you.
-They are CA friendly for you trapped behind enemy lines.

Cons:

-The only one I can think of in terms of the rifle is the slight indent in the receiver I talk about in the video but it really isn't an issue to me but I know it will be for some.
-Availability. Like everyone else these days, ICA is backordered. I think the wait varies on the rifle you order but last I heard it was 8-12 weeks.

I'm a new member here so I can't post my video review but as soon as I get enough posts I'll put it in here as well...
Mrgunsngear is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 82390
Thank for the review. I ordered and iron clad ak 47 recently. Cant wait+
45Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 80067
I'm in the market for an AK-74, where'd you order?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 49344
Went there on Saturday to meet up with my friend Steve and meet John, the owner. Looked at what they offer and learned a little. I'm between the 47 and 74 myself. Steve leans toward the the 74 and has both. Knows his stuff and I'm like a sponge, trying to take it all in. So far, whatever I decide, I want a "milled", heavy barrel and chrome lined would be nice of course. I don't even mind the Russian black plastic furniture for now. Again, just trying to decide between the 47 (7.62) with it's history and knock down ability and the newer 74 (5.45) which is suppose to be more accurate. And then there's the ammo thing (ha) . . . couldn't find anyone who has any for either currently.

Thanks for your review and I've seen your video.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Fight View Post
Thank for the review. I ordered and iron clad ak 47 recently. Cant wait+
I'm probably going to order another (different build) as well so I'll be back on the wait list with you...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD396 View Post
I'm in the market for an AK-74, where'd you order?
You can order direct from them and they'll build it to your specs (folder/standard trunnion/wood/polymer/ect...) or they make some standard models that distributors sell. Atlantic Firearms is one but I think there are others....
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOT View Post
Went there on Saturday to meet up with my friend Steve and meet John, the owner. Looked at what they offer and learned a little. I'm between the 47 and 74 myself. Steve leans toward the the 74 and has both. Knows his stuff and I'm like a sponge, trying to take it all in. So far, whatever I decide, I want a "milled", heavy barrel and chrome lined would be nice of course. I don't even mind the Russian black plastic furniture for now. Again, just trying to decide between the 47 (7.62) with it's history and knock down ability and the newer 74 (5.45) which is suppose to be more accurate. And then there's the ammo thing (ha) . . . couldn't find anyone who has any for either currently.

Thanks for your review and I've seen your video.
If you're on the fence I say go 74. More accurate, lighter, WAY cheaper ammo, and less recoil. The only downside is the cost of the mags but these days 47 mags aren't exactly cheap either...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Edited with pics and a link.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 49344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
If you're on the fence I say go 74. More accurate, lighter, WAY cheaper ammo, and less recoil. The only downside is the cost of the mags but these days 47 mags aren't exactly cheap either...
Thanks for the input. I'm trying not to be on the fence but guess I am. You named alot of positives alright, however 5.45, I've heard, is "normally" a little harder to find (but so is 7.62 and everything else currently). Nonetheless, two guys that know their stuff are more pro the 74 (5.45). That will weigh into my desicion without a doubt. One more thing though. Stopping power. It's somewhat like the discussions about the difference between .223 and .308, isn't it? With the .308 being the more potent round. Is this the case where placement wins as it should no matter what caliber, any caliber, is used?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 80067
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOT View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm trying not to be on the fence but guess I am. You named alot of positives alright, however 5.45, I've heard, is "normally" a little harder to find (but so is 7.62 and everything else currently). Nonetheless, two guys that know their stuff are more pro the 74 (5.45). That will weigh into my desicion without a doubt. One more thing though. Stopping power. It's somewhat like the discussions about the difference between .223 and .308, isn't it? With the .308 being the more potent round. Is this the case where placement wins as it should no matter what caliber, any caliber, is used?
I've seen a lot of ammo for 5.45 for sale, prior to the paranoia, and cheap too.

Just one source that has bulk in stock...
Silver Bear 5.45x39 60 - Grain Fmj Ammo, 30 Rds. - 931585, 5.45x39 Ammo at Sportsman's Guide

another,
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....l-metal-jacket

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk

Search tags for this page
iron clad ak 74

iron clad armory

iron clad armory ak 47
iron clad armory ak74
iron clad armory complaints
iron clad armory milled ak 47 review

iron clad armory review

iron clad armory reviews
ironclad ak 74 review

ironclad armory

ironclad armory ak 47 review

ironclad armory ak 74 blogs
ironclad armory review
ironclad armory reviews
ironcladarmory.com
new iron clad armory news and reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.