• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Looking for AK Knowledge

This is a discussion on Looking for AK Knowledge within the AK-47 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Just sold my Arsenal SLR-101s for can and toy money for my AR-10. Loved the hell out of it though and would buy one again ...

Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 71886
Just sold my Arsenal SLR-101s for can and toy money for my AR-10. Loved the hell out of it though and would buy one again if I wanted an AK pattern rifle.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

XDm .45 compact, CT Laserguard - Supertuck holster
Beretta 92f
DPMS AP4 .308 18" with EoTech EXPS3-0/G33 and YHM Phantom 7.62 QD Suppressor
Remington 700 .300win w/ Leupold 8.5-25x scope, YHM QD brake
Remington 870 Express 20ga
Remington Nylon 66 .22LR
T/C Encore .300WM/12ga
Browning Buckmark Whisper, YHM Mite Suppressor
furtjager117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotriley View Post
The 47 is more powerful, but you also get cons with that. Heavier and bulkier ammo, more recoil, and higher costs. 74 ammo is about the same as 5.56 with power and its soooo cheap when people aren't freaking out about ammo. You can usually get two 1080 round tins for just over $300 (max $350). Let that price point sink in for a minute... The average I pay per round for 5.45 is $0.13.
I beg to differ. The 5,45 projectile is equal to the M43/M67 round. The 5,45 has a harder time with heavier barriers, but thats why they make solid core ammo. Same principal as the 5.56s SS109. The 5,45 ball will out penetrate the 5.56. The 5,45 give you more range, a flatter trajectory, and a lighter weapon than the AKM. The AKM, the AKM-74, and the AK-10x series are lighter than the AK-47 because they use a stamped receiver. The AK-47 (type 2) uses a milled receiver. The original AK-47 used reinforced stamped receivers, but it was too complicated, the heat treating sucked, and going the old way of milling kept the tolerances closer from weapon to weapon.

The 5.56 out shines the 5,45. It is a better design with it only one major draw back. The straight walled case. When you look at the 7.62x39, the 5,45x39.5 vs the 5,56x45, you can see what I mean. The tapered chambers make extraction easier.

By the way, when it comes to calibre, they all destroy the body. Terminal ballistics are very acceptable on all three. All have made thousands of corpses. I am a 5,45 fanatic. Same with anything 9mm (except the 380ACP, I can't stand that sorry performer) in handguns. Been around longer than any other in constant military service. Same with the 7.62x54R. The OLDEST round still in circulation!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 49344
Quote:
The 47 is more powerful, but you also get cons with that. Heavier and bulkier ammo, more recoil, and higher costs. 74 ammo is about the same as 5.56 with power and its soooo cheap when people aren't freaking out about ammo. You can usually get two 1080 round tins for just over $300 (max $350). Let that price point sink in for a minute... The average I pay per round for 5.45 is $0.13.
Thanks. And speaking about 5.56 (.223), seems to be like the discussions about the difference between .223 and .308, I guess? With the .308 being the more powerful round. Guess another reason why placement matters more with a smaller caliber bullet. But does anyone feel that they would be missing not having the big, bad AK47?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #24
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 60692
Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
I beg to differ. The 5,45 projectile is equal to the M43/M67 round. The 5,45 has a harder time with heavier barriers, but thats why they make solid core ammo. Same principal as the 5.56s SS109. The 5,45 ball will out penetrate the 5.56. The 5,45 give you more range, a flatter trajectory, and a lighter weapon than the AKM. The AKM, the AKM-74, and the AK-10x series are lighter than the AK-47 because they use a stamped receiver. The AK-47 (type 2) uses a milled receiver. The original AK-47 used reinforced stamped receivers, but it was too complicated, the heat treating sucked, and going the old way of milling kept the tolerances closer from weapon to weapon.

The 5.56 out shines the 5,45. It is a better design with it only one major draw back. The straight walled case. When you look at the 7.62x39, the 5,45x39.5 vs the 5,56x45, you can see what I mean. The tapered chambers make extraction easier.

By the way, when it comes to calibre, they all destroy the body. Terminal ballistics are very acceptable on all three. All have made thousands of corpses. I am a 5,45 fanatic. Same with anything 9mm (except the 380ACP, I can't stand that sorry performer) in handguns. Been around longer than any other in constant military service. Same with the 7.62x54R. The OLDEST round still in circulation!
Your argument made me think of this, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhs8kDoMXRI

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
–Mark Twain
elliotriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post

Man, am I floating in a dingy in the middle of the ocean (ha). Where are my friends that could talk your language? Not only the rifle, but ammo, is probably the biggest part when considering which one to get. Again, my friend who I wish would chime in here, prefers the 74 and one bit of info that he told me (taken out of text) is . . .

"Ideally, a milled receiver, side folding stocked AK-74 would be perfect. Extremely durable, very accurate and yet compact. A tad bit heavier, ( maybe ) than an M4, but with currently offered rail system adapters, the -74 could be jazzed up/equipped with any of the bells and whistles, ( lights, lasers, bipods, etc ) that can be mounted on an M4. With a Cold Hammer Forged, chrome lined barrel, it would have one helluva long barrel life. . . regardless of dirty/tracer/high volumes of ammo fired from it. Current mil-issue M4 barrels are NOT CHF, just chrome lined".
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 60692
Here's a short ammo comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VFkgZij5eg

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
–Mark Twain
elliotriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #27
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Your argument made me think of this, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhs8kDoMXRI
Ha ha, did he ever get around to saying which one he preferred? I had to leave it.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #28
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Here's a short ammo comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VFkgZij5eg
Very interesting comments below that vid, as well. Especially having to do with application (i.e. buildng type, distance, etc.). Having said that, maybe not a decisive winner at all between the two and need to get both, like alot have done.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #29
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 71939
I never looked into the 74's .. I assumed saigas were AK-47(AKM) ... Is the saiga 5.45 a 74??

I've been interested in the 5.45 saiga , but with the current situation I'm holding off because if they ban ammo imports I would be sol.

M&P Shield 9mm , Truglo TFO Night Sights , Apex Hard Sear , Safety Delete , First GK Nano Series Black Chrome Slide Finish in the World.

Latest Build : PSA M4 16" CMV CL 1/7 Upper , Spikes ST-15 Spider Lower ) , PSA LPK , Daniel Defense BCG , Spikes CH.
Minkman555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #30
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
That guy is an idiot. Yes the USSR followed the same design theory as the Americans. More ammo, same weight. Small, light, fast, accurate. Commercial 5.56 ball doesn't frag, only certain variations. 5,45 was designed to yaw, just like the Yugo M67 redesign of the M43 Russian 7.62x39. The Yugos designed a better round. The 5,45 ballistics were on purpose, not accident. The 5.56 is a short, fat bullet. 5,45 is long and slender. Kinda like the difference between a rugby ball vs an American foot ball. Simple physics dictate that the 5,45 will penetrate better simply because of its shape. 5.56 is a multi role design, the 5,45 isn't. 5,45 sniper weapons didn't last long because the round was no good for it both in the needed accuracy and 1 shot take downs. There was no room for left for upgrades when the round was designed. look at the hiostory and deployment of the SSG 82. The 5,45 was designed for one weapon, the AKM-74 with a 16" barrel. It gave acceptable performance from a PDW, the AKSU.
he went to college to figure out which book to read....I have trigger time behind both calibres in military service. I've seen what both rounds do to the human body. School of hard knocks...book smarts don't apply. If it did it would reveal that bumble bees are too aerodynamically unstable to fly, yet they do!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk

Search tags for this page
ak 47 stamped receiver heat treat
ak conversion vs. arsenal

ak files iron clad armory

akm 74 sporter
akm/47s semi-automatic rifle

century arms maadi ak-47

chinese ak vs russian ak

iron clad armory review

iron clad k-var ak-47

ironclad ak 47 review

my ak47 wont shoot straight
romanian aims-74
soviet ak heat treating
zastava m77 handguard

???????????????? ????????????

Click on a term to search for related topics.