• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Saiga AK47 - Fair price?

This is a discussion on Saiga AK47 - Fair price? within the AK-47 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; The LGS has a Saiga on consignment. It looks as if its been through normal use. No major cosmetic problems or scratches. It looks like ...

Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 60785
Saiga AK47 - Fair price?

The LGS has a Saiga on consignment. It looks as if its been through normal use. No major cosmetic problems or scratches. It looks like it hasn't been cleaned after the last range trip.

I found a similar rifle new for $600. The one at the LGS has an optical mount and a tru-glo optic in addition to a rail mounted flashlight.

The seller is asking $650. Are the Saiga's worth the extra money? AK's in general are pretty sparse around here but I also don't want to get ripped off. I'll try and get a picture up.
PistolEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11603
Saigas are the best mass-produced Kalashnikov-style rifles you can buy in this country. They are worth the money.

That said, that particular rifle still needs AK-style handguards on it. It is better than the sporter one (unconverted) but not quite the look of a real AK yet. I am not quite sure as to what is required to put normal handguards on it, as I own an Arsenal which is fully converted.

The extra stuff the LGS throws on it doesn't add value to the gun, it only adds to their asking price. I would rather buy a new one from J&G than a used one with an unknown track record (not cleaned after last range trip? WTF?!?)

Cheers! M2

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones! -- Maj T.J. Kong
M2XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 81865
Was at the range let a guy I meet shoot the xds. Low and behold he whips out a Saiga ak47. This gun was a blast he also stated this was the best AK you can buy! Go Brand new!
Rye_rucker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 70608
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2XD View Post
Saigas are the best mass-produced Kalashnikov-style rifles you can buy in this country. They are worth the money.

That said, that particular rifle still needs AK-style handguards on it. It is better than the sporter one (unconverted) but not quite the look of a real AK yet. I am not quite sure as to what is required to put normal handguards on it, as I own an Arsenal which is fully converted.

The extra stuff the LGS throws on it doesn't add value to the gun, it only adds to their asking price. I would rather buy a new one from J&G than a used one with an unknown track record (not cleaned after last range trip? WTF?!?)

Cheers! M2
It's an AK-47, don't have a heart attack. C'mon you know these things don't really need to be cleaned that much unless the owner is really anal.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 54240
I'm pretty sure you can get a new Saiga converted from classic arms for $599. $650 for a used Saiga seems steep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

XD .45 ACP Service w/ TruGlo TFO Sights
XD 9mm Subcompact
Springfield Mil Spec 1911
Hammer of Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
This will probably sart a bunch of crap, but.....

Saiga, VePR, Arsenal, Zasatva......all the same except the hype and price.
if its what you want, buy it but for 500 you can get a VePR, heavier duty than the Saiga.
For 400+ you can get a Saiga and convert it your self.
For 400-600, you can get a Zastava.
For 800+ you can get an Arsenal. While I love Bulgarian AK-74s....hype makes them expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2VP71 View Post
It's an AK-47, don't have a heart attack. C'mon you know these things don't really need to be cleaned that much unless the owner is really anal.
Thanks for the useless comment, I am pretty knowledgeable on the Kalashnikov and while they may function without being cleaned it still isn't a good sign. For an extra fifty bucks, I would go with a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
This will probably sart a bunch of crap, but.....

Saiga, VePR, Arsenal, Zasatva......all the same except the hype and price.
if its what you want, buy it but for 500 you can get a VePR, heavier duty than the Saiga.
For 400+ you can get a Saiga and convert it your self.
For 400-600, you can get a Zastava.
For 800+ you can get an Arsenal. While I love Bulgarian AK-74s....hype makes them expensive.
Sure, they are basically the same design; but if you aren't aware of the differences that have occurred over the years such as changing the angle of the gas tube from 45° to 90° and why the slant brake was replaced by the AK-74-style one then you won't know why shooting a modern AK-100-style rifle over a old Romanian is a better experience.

There is no comparison, a Saiga will be more accurate and easier to keep on target then a WASR-10. If that wasn't the case, then every AK would be a cheap Romanian version...

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones! -- Maj T.J. Kong
M2XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 79514
For about 1-2 hundred more you can buy brand new

One cannot fully appreciate their Citizenship until they've fought for it.

Yes, I do prepare for war. If no war happens in my time so be it, but my kids will be prepared for it in their time.
XDPoint4Ohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 70608
Quote:
Thanks for the useless comment, I am pretty knowledgeable on the Kalashnikov and while they may function without being cleaned it still isn't a good sign. For an extra fifty bucks, I would go with a new one.

Sure, they are basically the same design; but if you aren't aware of the differences that have occurred over the years such as changing the angle of the gas tube from 45° to 90° and why the slant brake was replaced by the AK-74-style one then you won't know why shooting a modern AK-100-style rifle over a old Romanian is a better experience.

There is no comparison, a Saiga will be more accurate and easier to keep on target then a WASR-10. If that wasn't the case, then every AK would be a cheap Romanian version...
Sounds like someone is a bit mad.. I think you're overreacting and being dramatic like a school girl. It's not a SCAR-H or any type of safe queen. It's an AK-47 and just because it wasn't cleaned after it was out last doesn't make it any worse. If you know so much about the Kalashnikov you would know that having a few hundred rounds through it without a cleaning isn't even a hard days work for these guns. If I were him I would clean her up (takes ten minutes) and use the other $50.00 on ammo and shooting for the day.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
Quote:

Ok, here we go....Al AKMs went to the 74 pattern EXCEPT for Romanian.
The vented 90* block (not tube)came out because of jacket shear with the 545 round in a unvented 45* block (not tube), except for Romania. They found a way to make it work. And all TUBES are interchangeable.. The slant/spoon device isn't a brake....its a compensator or blast diverter.
AK47s have milled receivers, AKMs have stamped receivers. The AK74 style brake was used to defeat recoil under full auto fire AND to reduce 'dirt pops' when firing prone. Gas diverts to the sides,up and towards the shooter to pull the weapon down and forward. AK74 pattern is also lighter, and uses a different cover latch than the 47 pattern. Polish AKs with grenade launchers have a special latch with a lock tab for the cover. AK74 pattern also has the lug under the gas block for the GP25/GP30/GP34 under barrel grenade launcher. They also have the bayonet lug under the FSB. 24/1 threaded blocks cannot use a bayonet without a brake or flash hider.

You wanna play technical and history lesson, I'm all for it.

What I am getting at is the comment about the Saiga being the 'best'...a VePR will walk the dog all over the Saiga. RPK receiver. Designed specifically as a hunting weapon version of the AK. Saiga is a faux set up to get around import and weapon restrictions. WaSR is an export only commercial version of an AKM and has always benn an entry level AK, like all Romanian AKs, even the SAR.

Arsenal, Saiga, VePR, PaP, and WaSR are the only factory built AKs imported. FEG and Maadi were right up there as well. You cannot sit here and tell me which one is the best. They all have their quirks. I'll throw a Romanian in the mix too, one of my high cap 992s or CUR II against any other stamped 545 out there.

All of them have their issues. All of them have had troubles, especially Arsenal. Not as common and the post 2004 WaSRs.

its all in what you can afford. Price reflects product for the most part. Arsenal is the exception because you will pay for the name. And don't forget the kit built weapons too. Wanna talk about them, I have a bunch. Some with bought receiver, some with flats, and some with receivers I made myself.....
Not trying to start a bitching match, but I know a little about AKs...as well as every other ComBloc weapon ever made.

einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk

Search tags for this page
ak47 fair
ak47fair
how much for a saiga ak47
how much is a saiga ak 47 worth
price for saga ak
saiga ak 47 for sale in texas

saiga ak 47 price

saiga ak 47 price 2013
saiga ak 47 review
saiga ak 47 worth
saiga ak-47
saiga ak-47 price

saiga ak47

saiga ak47 price

saigas worth price
what is a saiga ak-47 worth?
Click on a term to search for related topics.