• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New to AK

This is a discussion on New to AK within the AK-47 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I went to my local gun store Saturday to get a new holster for my XD, I spotted a few AK's on the rack and ...

Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 15543
New to AK

I went to my local gun store Saturday to get a new holster for my XD, I spotted a few AK's on the rack and asked about them. He told me there was a couple that were made in the US, I cant remember the make it began with a IO ore something like that, but he did have 2 that had some numbers and POL after them. One was a under folder. I asked if they were Polish he said yes. Also the under folder was a stamped reciever and and the other was a milled reciever both were new. I almost got the milled one but wanted some in put from you guys that know these things. Thanks for any responce.
Remove Ads
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
CGP
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 52344
Thats not a whole lot of info to go by. It might help if you know the selling price. Pictures would help too, if the shop will allow you to take them. Lastly, try to get as much detail on the builder and the model/description of each.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Would the milled reciever be a better buy than the stamped. Both were around th $700. 00 range. These are new guns I'll call them and see who manufactured them later today.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
As far as I know the only thing you are getting with a milled over a stamped is more weight.

Most of the guys on here all have various stamped AK receivers.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
I certainly like the feel and ridgity (sp?) of a milled receiver. They just make me feel better that they are made stonger.

With that said, I've never really had a problem with a stamped receiver either.

But the $700 pricetag seems a little high for a stamped receiver. You can shop around and get a converted saiga for that and they have more collector value and a higher following.

California Legal Russian AK47 Rifle WA B47
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
CGP
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
Would the milled reciever be a better buy than the stamped. Both were around th $700. 00 range. These are new guns I'll call them and see who manufactured them later today.
From a functional standpoint, there isnt much of a difference between milled and stamped, provided the riveting work on the stamped ones are good and in correct alignment. More often, the action on a milled receiver is a lot smoother than stamped.

I have both stamped and milled AKs and I can say that the milled receivers are much better finished, less riveting work, more rigid. Generally, resale value on milled receivers are higher compared to stamped, particularly those that are more traditional (wood furniture for example).
Old 12-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

What about something like this.
AK47 Rifle Sporter Black IO INC
or this?
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1057.aspx
Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
CGP
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
I'd call Atlantic and ask if the barrel is chrome lined - it does not seem so otherwise they'll put it the description as its one of the bigger selling points of an AK. I don't know what a "match grade" barrel means in AK terms so to speak (sounds like fluff).

I don't have an IO so i cant really speak about their quality, but for that price, I would expect a bit more that makes it a cut above other less expensive alternatives - chrome lined barrel being one.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 57257
Personal opinion, avoid the IO.

Polish underfolders are okay - if you're not big on cheek weld. They will ruin your day running a class with one. There are some "fixes" but as a whole, for a serious class/fighting gun I'd advise against them.

Milled receivers are nice, but completely unnecessary. They are solid, but they're also heavy. There is a reason the Russians and various other countries stopped using milled receivers (expensive, and weighty). You're not buying some high-dollar sniper rifle, etc.

I'd suggest finding a good deal on something online vs. a store anyday - especially if you're not fluent in AK-ese.
Elbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:58 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 52037
Quote:
I have the IO AK and it's really a good gun. The barrel is US made and NOT chrome lined, their official explanation is that they were going for accuracy first, apparently there's some issue with chrome lining on that?

But the real beef is that I got mine for a measly 430$ just on 03/01/10 and now they are @ 530 at Bud's and sometimes higher elsewhere.
Stogies is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk

Search tags for this page
ak 47 rifle polish sporter io inc review
ak47 rifle sporter black io inc review
how much is a io polish sporter
i.o. inc polish sporter
i.o. polish ak 47 reviews
i.o. sporter review
i.o.inc.polish
io inc ak 47 sporter review
io inc polish ak 47 review
io inc sporter black rifle

io inc sporter review

io polish sporter
polish ak underfolder milled or stamped receiver
russian ak 47 in wa
selling point of io ak47 sporter
Click on a term to search for related topics.