• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

ADVICE!!..WASR 10/63 with NO matching serial numbers

This is a discussion on ADVICE!!..WASR 10/63 with NO matching serial numbers within the AK-47 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; So I bought a Century Arms WASR 10/63 with the Romanian stamp on it (triangle with arrow in it) from Dunham's sporting goods a few ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk » ADVICE!!..WASR 10/63 with NO matching serial numbers

Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 49261
ADVICE!!..WASR 10/63 with NO matching serial numbers

So I bought a Century Arms WASR 10/63 with the Romanian stamp on it (triangle with arrow in it) from Dunham's sporting goods a few weeks ago and being new and ignorant to owning an AK-47, I didn't think to check for matching serial numbers. I took it out shooting this past weekend and shot 100 rounds through it with absolutely no problems.

Well my post-range cleaning session made me notice that not one of the rifle's internal parts are stamped with matching serial numbers. The only ones that match are the one on the front trunnion and the gas tube. The bolt carrier, bolt, and recoil spring thing each have different serials numbers.

The shell casing that I found didn't have any unusal damage on it (shearing, dents, etc.), if that is any indication of a problem.

I would really appreciate any advice regarding how big of a problem this could be, whether it's dangerous to shoot, legal issues, whether I should bring it up with the store, etc.

Thanks in advance!
thenamesjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenamesjudy View Post
So I bought a Century Arms WASR 10/63 with the Romanian stamp on it (triangle with arrow in it) from Dunham's sporting goods a few weeks ago and being new and ignorant to owning an AK-47, I didn't think to check for matching serial numbers. I took it out shooting this past weekend and shot 100 rounds through it with absolutely no problems.

Well my post-range cleaning session made me notice that not one of the rifle's internal parts are stamped with matching serial numbers. The only ones that match are the one on the front trunnion and the gas tube. The bolt carrier, bolt, and recoil spring thing each have different serials numbers.

The shell casing that I found didn't have any unusal damage on it (shearing, dents, etc.), if that is any indication of a problem.

I would really appreciate any advice regarding how big of a problem this could be, whether it's dangerous to shoot, legal issues, whether I should bring it up with the store, etc.

Thanks in advance!
if you shot 100 rounds with no issues I don't see a problem other than you don't have bragging rights as having a number matching AK.
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 56669
Thats fine, as long as it works. They are mostly assembled from parts kits. If you had a matching numbers AK, it would most likely be worth booca bucks (big bucks) $$$$

1944 M1895 Nagant Revolver

Bulgarian Makarov

1941 Izzy Mosin nagant 91/30
BIMMERKID21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 54830
Guns with matching S/Ns in this case the WASR 10 do not cost anymore then a gun with all different S/Ns. The 2 I own have all matching S/ns paid 450 for 1 and 500 for the other. Its just something you need to look for when buying one.

That being said if your gun shoots with no issue, then you have no issue. The Ak has a violent system that can damage shells upon extraction. If your shooting fine, let it be.
norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Thanks guys for the reassurance. After inspecting it again, the bolt carrier was restamped on another area of it with the last four digits of the s/n that is on the trunnion. The bolt, however, is still stamped something different; couldn't find any other s/n's on it. I'm assuming that means it's still head spaced correctly for my particular gun so it can be sold, even though they didn't stamp it with a matching number, like they did with the bolt carrier.

The only other thing not stamped with a matching number is the dust cover but I dont see why that would matter.

I just got worried that my $300 investment was in a crap mutt-gun.

Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 22296
I haven't even looked at the serial numbers of my WASR. It's a $300 crap mutt-gun. Why would it matter whether the serial numbers match?

(I don't know what crap mutt-gun means, but I love it and will from now on call my WASR "Crap mutt-gun.")

Federal weapon statutes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
cce1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11014
If the headspacing was off, you would've noticed a lot of stuff not right in the 100 rounds you fired. Weird sparks as the bolt was beginning to open, smoke, assorted failures, maybe even a big kaboom if it was bad enough.

Don't sweat it.

Serial numbers don't mean nothing to anyone but the Government (BATF).

The only serial number that matters is the one on the receiver.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
I haven't even looked at the serial numbers of my WASR. It's a $300 crap mutt-gun. Why would it matter whether the serial numbers match?

(I don't know what crap mutt-gun means, but I love it and will from now on call my WASR "Crap mutt-gun.")
Lol im glad you like it. I meant to put crappy, but the submit button was already pressed. I thought the word "mutt" was appropriate in this case, since my gun was made up of parts from different guns, like a multi-bred dog.

You remember the famous "mix between a bulldog and a shitzu"..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29650
I love my mutt.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. View Post
If the headspacing was off, you would've noticed a lot of stuff not right in the 100 rounds you fired. Weird sparks as the bolt was beginning to open, smoke, assorted failures, maybe even a big kaboom if it was bad enough.

Don't sweat it.

Serial numbers don't mean nothing to anyone but the Government (BATF).

The only serial number that matters is the one on the receiver.
Thanks alot, that's refreshing to hear. I don't remember any unusual things happening while I was firing it, so it's good to know that isn't an issue.

As far as worrying about the purist thing, I could care less as long as it functions like it should. For $300, I couldn't be happier.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk

Search tags for this page
ak 47 serial numbers dont match
ak 47 serial numbers romanian
ak-47 with no serial number
amd 63 ak serial numbers
century ak47 serial numbers
wasr 10 63 recoil spring
wasr 10 matching numbers
wasr 10 serial numbers
wasr 10 vs wasr 10 63

wasr 10/63

wasr 10/63 letters in serial number

wasr 10/63 serial number

wasr arrow stamp
wasr serial numbers
where is the serial number on a wasr 10
where is the serial number on an ak 47
Click on a term to search for related topics.