• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Just got a bunch of new steel AK mags - how to properly clean them?

This is a discussion on Just got a bunch of new steel AK mags - how to properly clean them? within the AK-47 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; Just got an AK-47, and got myself a nice set of new manufacture Bulgarian mags for it. They just arrived today, and as expected they ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk » Just got a bunch of new steel AK mags - how to properly clean them?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 51259
Just got a bunch of new steel AK mags - how to properly clean them?

Just got an AK-47, and got myself a nice set of new manufacture Bulgarian mags for it. They just arrived today, and as expected they are coated in grease (cosmoline?)

Anyway, I know that people generally strip down such magazines and clean them, but being a new AK owner, I'm at a loss as to what needs to be done in this regard.

A quick search of youtube didn't turn up any instructional videos.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Well, I searched around on Soviet-Steel.com, and found a thread about it. Took their suggestion to boil a large pot of water, disassemble the mags, and drop the parts in for a few minutes. (I actually didn't put the follower or the spring in - those I just wiped down with a paper towel.) Then I washed each boiled part as if it were a dirty dish in my sink (hot water, mild dish soap), and them stuck them in the oven at 170 F for about 5 minutes to dry them. It worked well.
ksbsnowowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 29327
Thanks for the soviet-steel plug

Boiling water method works wonders...you can always follow it up with a degreasing solution. If you know mechanic or have access to a engine parts cleaner, it also works great.

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" -- Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
cooks128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Well, after getting those 3 mags cleaned and reassembled, two of them won't fit into my AK's magwell.

How should I go about fixing that?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

I've had a few like this over the years....hitting with a rubber mallet around always did the trick for me.

What kind of AK do you have...is the magwell to spec?

"There are no restrictions on the First Amendment when trying to restrict the Second Amendment" -- Tim Inwood, Buckeye Firearms Association.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks128 View Post
I've had a few like this over the years....hitting with a rubber mallet around always did the trick for me.

What kind of AK do you have...is the magwell to spec?
I have an Arsenal SGL-21(?) (Saiga) 7.62x39

So, rather than grinding the top end of the sides down, you just smash them with a rubber mallet? Okay, I guess I can see that. I can visually tell that the one that fits does have more material ground off of it.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
This is what I love about AK's. If something is working right. Just take a hammer and beat on it till it does work.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
I have an Arsenal SGL-21(?) (Saiga) 7.62x39

So, rather than grinding the top end of the sides down, you just smash them with a rubber mallet? Okay, I guess I can see that. I can visually tell that the one that fits does have more material ground off of it.
yep...that's how Kalasnikov would instruct you to fix the problem. Every time I've had this problem...I've loaded up the mage with four or fix rounds...lay it on work bench and gave it a good wack with a rubber mallet. It's worked everytime.

You've gotta have pin punches and dental picks to work on ARs...a hammer or a rock to work on AKs....and gosh darn I love both rifles dearly.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Well, after dinner I cleaned up a few more mags. These 3 fit very well; they go in smoothly, and there is almost no rattle when I shake the gun.

I tried the 3 mags from last night again, and the two I thought would not fit, actually will. But they are a VERY tight fit, and the mag has to be lined up exactly right. One of them doesn't want to come out smoothly either. But, they will work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk

Search tags for this page
ak magazines grease
best way to store ak magazines

cleaning ak 47 magazines

cleaning ak magazines

disassemble ak 47 magazine

how to clean ak 47 magazines

how to clean ak magazines

how to clean an ak-47
how to clean grease off ak47 magazine
how to diassemble ak47 magazine
how to disassemble an ak 47 magazine
how to remove cosmoline from ak-47 magazine
how to take apart an ak-47 magazine
should i clean my ak mag
ultrasonic cleaner for ak mag
Click on a term to search for related topics.