• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Century Arms VZ-2008 folder a.k.a. VZ-58 report

This is a discussion on Century Arms VZ-2008 folder a.k.a. VZ-58 report within the AK-47 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I am relieved....pleased, yes pleased, for the most part with my new VZ-2008 by Century Arms. I got it from Classic Arms for $490, which ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk » Century Arms VZ-2008 folder a.k.a. VZ-58 report

Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 42509
Century Arms VZ-2008 folder a.k.a. VZ-58 report

I am relieved....pleased, yes pleased, for the most part with my new VZ-2008 by Century Arms. I got it from Classic Arms for $490, which BTW has an awsome deal on Yugo brass cased, lead bullet, mild corrosive primer, 7.62 x 39 ammo....at .22 cents a round. I bought 5k rounds in .50 cal metal ammo boxes. Way cheaper than the Wolf they also sell. It's a huge initial expense for me. But, I now have reloadable brass/lead bullet ammo for a long time to come, at least a year.. I shot the ammo at my local indoor range and it really did not smell bad or make me stand out as shooting dirty commie surplus ammo. Although, I must say when I first opened the ammo can, the smell was very wierd....like something very old, if you get my meaning. They've also got Haji 223 brass ammo. Price seems not to bad, I think around .32 cents a round. Can't exactly remember.

I don't know, the VZ-2008 shoots real good, looks real good, feels real good and is svelt and light to handle and stow. I've already broken her down after a 60 meal with no FTF,FTE.

The finish is a matte grey with no shine. I like it and have no problems with it. The overall quality of the finish is about 8/10 to 9/10. The wire folding stock is excellent, yet needs a rubber pad to protect the side of the reciever, when folded. It locks open and folded. It has one HUGE machine screw fastening it to the reciever. I had zero comfort issues with maintaning a good cheak weld, when shooting the rifle. I don't know if the non-folding stock will work with this model. I was going to buy one from Czechpoint, but now am unsure about it.

The furniture is that wood flake polymer, whatever you call it material. The pistol grip is excellent, even for my large hands. I give it an A. The top and bottom foregrips are very slim and comfortable to hold.

Breakdown and reassembly is very easy and intuitive. The magazine fitment is a bit loose side-to-side and a tad looser then that up-and-down. An empty mag is quite wobbly. A full mag reduces that impression greatly. I don't think it's an issue for reliability. I'll report any change with that once I get an afternoon to put a few hundred rounds through it. I'm a left hand shooter and the mag release on the left side is perfect for me. I use my longer middle finger to actuate the release. The safety is easy for to select F for fire; but, I have a problem moving it back to S safety due to the tight action of the safety. No biggie. The mag release for me is a huge bonus.

Some negatives:

1. No manual/paperwork
2. Slant break indexing notch is out of spec...maybe. What I mean is that the pin that locks into the muzzle break locks it at about 11 o'clock before the muzzle break is properly, symetrically, correctly positioned. I did edit this post and took out the comment about bad quality control, after I saw a YouTube video of a guy shooting his AK and his slant break was oriented the exact same way. I will be calling Century Arms to have this addressed.

This is a pretty sweet and unique gun. I would recommend it. I can't imagine how much better the Czechpoint will be. I may get both after I recover from this expense.

I have pictures. But nowhere to host. If anyone can host these, let me know and I'll email the pictures.
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35863
glad it is a perfect fit for you! post up pics!

link removed
theboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 14246
Thanks for the little write up, glad to hear you like it. I've been tossing around the idea of grabbing one one of those.

Just heads up, the muzzle brake at the 11 o'clock position is the way is it supposed to be, same thing on AK's.

D.
xjedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28226
Good report. I've always been interesting in buying one of those rifles . . . hmmmmm.

By the way, that Yugo ammo is Berdan-primed so you can't reload it unless you have Berdan primers and equipment (which you almost certainly do not) or you jump through some serious hoops.

It is great ammo at a great price, however. You made a good purchase.
Mad Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28772
You folks who are thinking of a purchase, remember that with Century, every one of their home-grown "projects" is a roll of the dice.

Glad you got a "good one", Dirt Diver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Too bad about reloading that ammo. Learn something every day. Reloading was, however, not too high on my list, as I have not reloaded ammo for YEARS. I'm glad you mentioned it because I will cease to police the brass, after shooting. It was a fantastic deal. If I had another grand, I'd get 5k more...

Great news about the slant break. Being a lefty shooter, by decuduction, I am thinking the orientation of the break needs to go from a break centerline of 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. Does that make any sense. I am only guessing that the oriention is to mitigate trigger pull to the right for a right hand shooter.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diver View Post
Too bad about reloading that ammo. Learn something every day. Reloading was, however, not too high on my list, as I have not reloaded ammo for YEARS. I'm glad you mentioned it because I will cease to police the brass, after shooting. It was a fantastic deal. If I had another grand, I'd get 5k more...

Great news about the slant break. Being a lefty shooter, by decuduction, I am thinking the orientation of the break needs to go from a break centerline of 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. Does that make any sense. I am only guessing that the oriention is to mitigate trigger pull to the right for a right hand shooter.
It's got nothing to do with lefty or righty.

In fact, on the Vz58, it's got nothing to do with anything, as none were ever issued with a slant brake (they don't fly up under full auto conditions like the AK does)

This is just Century throwing any ol' sh** on . . .

|
|
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26737
I just purchased a VZ kit and receiver, going to build a beauty as soon as I get the parts in. I look forward to puttin some lead through it.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives ~ Hedley Lamarr

3-7-77
WaXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Just a quick update on the VZ. That massive machine screw that attaches the wire stock to the reciever needed locktite. It just kept unwinding after shooting. Have put about 200 rounds through it and it's great.

On a great note, I found an excellent product to put on the metal shoulder pad that now fully protects the reciever from getting whacked when folding the stock. It's called Plasti Dip. It's that stuff you dip you tool handles in to put that rubbery grip on them. I bought both the spray and the dip. I used the spray on the wire stock shoulder pad and put four coats on it. Perfect. Now I can close the stock and not worry about damaging the reciever. You can get it at Home Depot in the paint section for $7 bucks.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39342
I just bought a vz2008. Haven't shot it yet but love it already, Love the swing arm stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Century Arms VZ-2008 folder a.k.a. VZ-58 report-762x39.gif  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk

Search tags for this page
century arms vz 2008
century arms vz 2008 reliability
century arms vz2008 review
century international arms vz2008 review
century vz 58 review
century vz2008 review
cia vz2008 review

vz 2008

vz 2008 reliability
vz 2008 review
vz 58 vs vz 2008

vz-2008

vz2008

vz2008 accuracy
vz2008 review
Click on a term to search for related topics.