• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Range Report SKS vs AK 47 accuracy. I was wrong.

This is a discussion on Range Report SKS vs AK 47 accuracy. I was wrong. within the AK-47 Talk forums, part of the Long Gun Talk category; I thought there would not be a difference in accuracy between the AK and SKS. I tested these guns. SKS Para Trooper. I have added ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk » Range Report SKS vs AK 47 accuracy. I was wrong.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14903
Range Report SKS vs AK 47 accuracy. I was wrong.

I thought there would not be a difference in accuracy between the AK and SKS. I tested these guns.

SKS Para Trooper. I have added Tech Sights since this photo was taken. Basically an AR15 style rear apature sight. Which played a role in the accuracy results I am sure.

Here is the Mak 90

It has Krebs forward style apature sights. I also have a Ashley express front sight. So this sighting system is much more coarse. That played a role I am sure as well.

Anyway here are the groups. The best AK group was 3.87 inches at 50 yards from a bag. The worst was nearly 5 inches.

The best SKS group was 1.87 inches and the worst was 3.34 inches. The SKS is a better shooter at least in my case.
I have an Iron Dot from Larue coming for the AK and I will test it again when its here. But I have to eat some crow as I was wrong the SKS seems to have a clear accuracy edge. I experienced good accuracy from my SKS M when I fired it earlier but I shot it on a different day. It averaged 2 to 3 inches at 50 yards as well.
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA A 56876 B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 18608
Good post. I look forward to seeing the results from the Larue Iron Dot, because I'm considering what sight changes to make on my Romanian.

Thanks.
HumbleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 14246
I get the same results with my Norinco SKS vs. my Russian Saiga AK. SKS's are great rifles, very accurate for what they are.

Thanks for posting, glad someone else put it to the test.

D.
xjedix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 20215
I have a Saiga .308, and Yugo SKS, and I noticed that the Saiga does horribly if I shoot it off of a fixed front rest. The shots go all over the place. The SKS doesn't seem to have this problem. The Saiga is a lot more accurate if I shoot it from what I call "simulated prone" with my elbows on the shooting table at the range. I think that it is possible that the AK design causes bouncing off of a fixed rest.
Were you shooting off of a fixed front rest? If you were, I'd be curious what happened if you tried again off of your elbows, which allows for some "give" against the flexing of the barrel/gas tube assembly on firing.
That said, my SKS is pretty accurate for a battle rifle too. It and my s308 both do around 3moa.
On sunday I was at the range with some friends, and I was shooting the Saiga at 100 yards, and my buddy had some golf balls set up at 186 yards. He says "I wanna see you try for a golf ball." I hit one at 186 on my first shot! I should have stopped right there lol, because the following shots were around a 6 inch group around the golf balls. We were all impressed with the rifle, needless to say
The Saiga has a "mojo" aperture rear sight, and a small diameter front sight post that I got from tech sights, and a rsa trigger. The SKS has stock sights and the (bad) stock trigger, so with that taken into account, I guess I'd have to give the nod to the SKS.

Last edited by LKB3rd; 04-07-2009 at 05:40 AM.
LKB3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
told ya.......even with the factory sights the SKS should do noticeably better than the AK. Its has more to do with the moving action than the sights. The AK moves around a bit more. The other thing to keep in mind is that you honestly have to find the ammo each like the best. My 'shooter' Norinco SKS likes the old wolf/military classic better than any thing else. My milled Polytech likes Silver bear better. Even with hand loads the react different. I'm very surprised at how open the group is with your MAK at only 50y. Have you tried groups without the brake on the MAK. I had a standard slant on my MAK and when I took it off, it grouped about a .50" tighter from the bench at 100y.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Last edited by einheit 13; 04-07-2009 at 03:33 PM.
einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
told ya.......even with the factory sights the SKS should do noticeably better than the AK. Its has more to do with the moving action than the sights. The AK moves around a bit more. The other thing to keep in mind is that you honestly have to find the ammo each like the best. My 'shooter' Norinco SKS likes the old wolf/military classic better than any thing else. My milled Polytech likes Silver bear better. Even with hand loads the react different. I'm very surprised at how open the group is with your MAK at only 50y. Have you tried groups without the brake on the MAK. I had a standard slant on my MAK and when I took it off, it grouped about a .50" tighter from the bench at 100y.
You were right. As far as ammo goes. Right now its a I will take what I can get situation. It group similar back before I put the brake on.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA A 56876 B class
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15221
how did you like the tech sights on the sks ?

I have been thinking of ordering them, i was hoping to run into someone with them at the range, but i never do.

are they a nice tight fit ?
billbrasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbrasky View Post
how did you like the tech sights on the sks ?

I have been thinking of ordering them, i was hoping to run into someone with them at the range, but i never do.

are they a nice tight fit ?
I like them except for one thing. With the stock blade I needed to lower the front sight till it was bottomed out then I needed to cut it down still to get the elvation right. That was unacceptable. So in the end I bought the elevation adjustable rear and ran it all the way up as far as it could go. Then I used the front sight to adjust the elevation and it was no longer so short and it is far easier to shoot. The only down side is the rear sight stick up out of the protective wings a bit. It is nice and tight and has not lost 0 as of yet.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA A 56876 B class
Old 04-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 5489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
I like them except for one thing. With the stock blade I needed to lower the front sight till it was bottomed out then I needed to cut it down still to get the elvation right. That was unacceptable. So in the end I bought the elevation adjustable rear and ran it all the way up as far as it could go. Then I used the front sight to adjust the elevation and it was no longer so short and it is far easier to shoot. The only down side is the rear sight stick up out of the protective wings a bit. It is nice and tight and has not lost 0 as of yet.
Pat
All of 'shooters' have this sight barrel. I've ran into the same issue with factory sights. I have one Romanian SKS that will not zero below 200y! Works pretty good and opens up the types of posts you can use since you can get thinner and shorter/taller about everywhere. I'm making one for one of my Mosins...using different lengths of welding rods to zero gets old quick...
ACE LTD. USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
einheit 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by einheit 13 View Post
All of 'shooters' have this sight barrel. I've ran into the same issue with factory sights. I have one Romanian SKS that will not zero below 200y! Works pretty good and opens up the types of posts you can use since you can get thinner and shorter/taller about everywhere. I'm making one for one of my Mosins...using different lengths of welding rods to zero gets old quick...
ACE LTD. USA
I am glad I have tech sights on the Para the front sight was pushed all the way to the left just to get it to 0 at 25 yards. Once I got the tech sights I took care of the windage adjustment with the rear sight and centered the front sight windage wise. Trigger does suck on the Paratrooper the SKS M is not as bad.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA A 56876 B class

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Long Gun Talk » AK-47 Talk

Search tags for this page
ak 47 accuracy

ak 47 vs sks accuracy

ak vs sks

ak vs sks accuracy

sks accuracy test

sks accuracy vs ak

sks vs ak

sks vs ak 47

sks vs ak 47 accuracy

sks vs ak accuracy

sks vs ak47
sks vs ak47 accuracy
Click on a term to search for related topics.